Deadline: 19 December 2019
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Administrative Officer in Nairobi, Kenya.
UNEP’s mission is to provide leadership and encourage partnership in caring for the environment by inspiring, informing, and enabling nations and peoples to improve their quality of life without compromising that of future generations.
Key Job Responsibilities
The Administrative Officer will perform the following functions-
- Human Resource Management
- Effectively coordinates actions relative to the administration of human resource activities, e.g., recruitment, placement, performance appraisal, job classification reviews, separation of staff members, training etc., ensuring consistency in the application of UN rules and procedures.
- Define conditions of service, duties and responsibilities, and privileges and entitlements under the Staff Rules and Regulations.
- Budget and Finance
- Take the lead with respect to the preparation and implementation of the work programme, ensuring that financial resources are utilized to implement activities in accordance with the Programme Budget and allotments issued.
- Monitor and review the work programme and budget by conducting regular and special reviews to assess progress of actual work versus the programme plan.
- Coordinate the production of programme reports.
- Define requirements and work with systems units with respect to improving budget reporting systems and cost effective utilization of program resources.
- Develop procedures and implement same to ensure that accounting and financial management controls are consistent with UN policy and practice.
- Supervise and/or provide guidance on financial administration and management information issues and practices to colleagues.
- Provide guidance and leadership to more junior staff.
- General Administration
- Oversee work related to procurement, billing and receipt of income from various services, operational travel programme, procurement monitoring and evaluation of vendor contracts/payment to vendors and individual contractors for services.
- Review adequacy of departmental space requirements.
- Oversee the identification of office technology needs and maintenance of equipment, software and systems, coordinating enhancements as necessary.
- Perform other related work as required.
Applicants must have:
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business or public administration, finance, accounting, law or related area.
- A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum 5 years of progressively responsible experience in administration, finance, accounting, human resources management or related field.
- At least 2 years experience in financial and administrative management of projects is desirable.
- At least 2 year experience with an Enterprise Resource Planning software is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
- Fluency in written and oral English is required.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit UNEP.