Deadline: 3 April 2017
United Nations Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Budget & Finance Specialist in Geneva, Switzerland.
The Budget & Finance Specialist will be responsible for providing support to Regional Chief of Operations, and works closely with the Deputy Regional Director, monitoring and overseeing the full range of financial and budget services in support of program and operational activities.
UNICEF works for a world in which every child has a fair chance in life.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Budget & Finance Specialist will perform the following functions-
- Provide technical inputs to the establishment of financial guidelines in close coordination with the Deputy Regional Director, Regional Chief of Operations and DFAM.
- Support the strengthening of internal controls and enhancement of staff capacity on the application and interpretation of UN/UNICEF accounting and financial rules, regulations, procedures, systems and policies – particularly with donor conditions, utilization and other financial conditions.
- Maintain work processes in line with VISION, update / develop SOPs for Finance based on SAP, conduct periodic orientation activities for newly recruited finance staff and other staff members in the region on financial and budgetary processes and procedures.
- Monitor financial transactions, accounting reports, reconciliation of accounts and review budget status reports to ensure accurate and timely provision of financial information.
- Prepare required periodical reports and statements for RO and COs in the region ensuring that the set deadlines are met.
- Review budget expenditures against approved allotments and reconcile with reports from the Dashboard and HQs.
- Advise and recommend to the Regional Chief of Operations when deviation from the rules and regulations may be required and propose alternative solutions through the Regional Director to HQ to meet office objectives.
- Recommend and prepare any applicable estimates on office premises, supplies and equipment requirements for budget preparation purposes. Prepare, monitor and review the programmatic, operational and cross sectoral budget.
- Review budget expenditures against approved allotments, and verify compliance with reports received from HQs.
- Prepare and analyze financial data for budget estimates and financial planning.
- Assist in process analysis and system/procedural/reporting improvements.
- Be responsible for all contribution management tasks in the Regional Team cluster for contributions from assigned donors.
Applicants must have-
- Master’s Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Financial Management, Economics, or a directly-related technical field(s) is required.
- Valid professional financial certification (CA; CPA; etc.) from an accredited chartered accountancy institution, in conjunction with a relevant first-level (Bachelor’s) university degree (as identified above), may be taken in lieu of an advanced university degree.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant work experience in Budget and Finance, or a directly-related field(s), with direct involvement in budget systems and management in an international organization, is required.
- Prior hands-on experience in a UN system agency or similar international organization, some of which was served in a developing country, is an asset.
- Experience in database packages, web based management systems and ERP systems (preferably SAP financial modules) is an asset.
- Experience with IPSAS and/or IFRS is an asset.
- Knowledge and experience in an Enterprise Resource Planning system (i.e. SAP) is highly desirable.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, especially Excel required.
- Fluency in English and French (verbal and written) is required.
- Knowledge of an additional UN Language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish) is considered an asset.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit UNICEF.