Deadline: 5 April 2019
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Finance Officer in Kitgum, Uganda. The duration of this post is 12 months.
The Finance Officer will be responsible to provide efficient and effective financial management according to DRC’s internal and donor procedures, as per the Operations Handbook.
DRC fulfills its mandate by providing direct assistance to conflict-affected populations – refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs) and host communities in the conflict areas of the world.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Finance Officer will perform the following functions:
- Implement financial policies and procedures in accordance with DRC Operational Handbook.
- Assist with preparation of program and operational budgets.
- Liquidity management: establish monthly fund requirements and maintain adequate liquidity (cash) levels in the bank and cash safe. Subsequently, submits cash flow forecast every 25th of the month to the Senior Finance Officer based at the Kampala coordination office.
- Maintain updated bank mandates and list of authorized signatories and ensure the area Internal Delegation of Responsibility and Authority is consistently updated.
- Provide the financial review of all Purchase Requests (PR) and request for payments in accordance to the set limit in the area Internal Delegation of Responsibility and Authority.
- Verify payment vouchers for all payments in accordance to the set limit the area Internal Delegation of Responsibility and Authority.
- Responsible for the bookkeeping i.e. management of monthly cash books.
- Prepare consolidated weekly cashbooks with complete documentations for all the projects for review by Area Manager every Friday of the week.
- Submit on bi-monthly basis cashbooks and corresponding cash and bank reconciliation to Kampala coordination office as per the quarterly cashbook submission calendar.
- Ensure month end cash counts are done and submitted to DRC Country office in Kampala by 30th of every month and month end cash books accompanied by bank reconciliations are submitted to Senior Finance Officer 1st of every month.
- Together with Area Manager, ensure physical cash count is carried out at the end of the week (Friday) and that Cash counts are filled in Kampala for review by Senior Finance Officer the following Monday together with the weekly updated cashbook.
- Confirm that full accountabilities (documentations) are obtained for all expenditures and validity of claims all financial claims.
- Ensure timely submission of scanned vouchers to Kampala coordination office.
- Monitor project budgets closely and advice Area manager/project coordinators on any issues of concern.
- Prepare schedules for all taxes withheld or paid on a monthly basis where relevant and submit to Senior Finance Officer for verification before submission to the relevant authorities.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual DRC and donor reports.
- Support finance and Area Managers to adequately prepare for both internal and external audits.
- Support the supply chain team in asset management by provision of financial data necessary for updating asset lists.
Applicants must have:
- Degree in Accounting, Commerce.
- Professional qualification ACCA, CPA or similar.
- With at least 5-years work experience in relevant field INGO or other agencies experience in financial management.
- Proven ability in the implementation of large-scale programs.
- High integrity, pro-active, stable, robust character and a good team-player.
- Highly motivated, results-oriented, and with well-developed problem-solving skills.
- Ability to cope with heavy workloads and to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent analytical and negotiation skills.
- Proven commitment to accountability practices.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines, and work with limited supervision.
- Knowledge of computers: word processing, database management packages.
- Excellent Communication skills in English required.
- Knowledge of Alur, Lugbara, Luo, Madi and other local languages widely spoken in Northern Uganda is an advantage.
- Nationality of Uganda.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post through online process.
For more information, please visit DRC.