Deadline: 6 September 2019
United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Finance Officer in Nairobi, Kenya.
The Finance Officer will be responsible for providing support to the supervisor and colleagues in the office by administering and executing a variety of professional and technical financial transactions and processes, applying theoretical skills and thorough knowledge of organizational goals, objectives, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures to complete the tasks.
UNICEF works for a world in which every child has a fair chance in life.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Finance Officer will perform following functions:
- Support to financial planning and management
- Provide support to the financial planning process for CPMP by preparing/analyzing financial data/estimates and documentations verifying relevancy, accuracy and completeness to support budget planning. Provide financial operations support throughout the financial planning and implementation process.
- Review budget expenditures according to allotment and codes and verify compliance with guidelines and procedures.
- Keep stakeholders informed for timely action.
- Provide technical and operational support on the application, interpretation and implementation of operational policies, procedures and guidelines to the Representative and CO colleagues and stakeholders. Resolve routine financial operational issues and/or recommend (and record) deviation from policies and guidelines to meet objectives.
- Provide technical support to the programme counterparts/committees, e.g. review budgets and financial plans of implementing partners; monitor compliance with HACT framework, including support to assessments, assurance and capacity development of implementing partners.
- Prepare and/or monitor financial exception reports to assess unusual activities and transactions, investigate anomalies, and keep supervisor informed for timely action.
- Control of accounts
- Process/supervise (as per delegated authority) the disbursement of payments when done locally via bank letters, checks, or petty cash.
- Process and supervise cash receipts and reconcile income contributions to ensure their timely deposit and recording in UNICEF systems.
- Monitor and analyze financial transactions, accounting reports and reconciliation of accounts to ensure accurate and current financial information for applicable compliance (e.g. IPSAS, donor reporting, internal policies) and management oversight, planning and/or action.
- Prepare or contribute to mandated management/statutory office financial and accounting reports to UNICEF Board/Bodies/Donors, verifying the reliability of data and compliance with organizational guidelines.
- Treasury and cash management
- Manage bank, petty and cash on hand accounts transactions and operations in accordance with UNICEF/UN financial regulations and rules, policies, procedures and local banking practices.
- Keep abreast of procedures and regulations regarding maintenance of bank accounts and exchange and interest rates.
- Keep supervisor and relevant colleagues informed for timely action.
- Maintain contact with local bank management on routine operational matters.
- Maintain a system to monitor and forecast periodic cash requirements.
- Provide current information on cash position/forecast to management and make recommendations or take action to ensure sufficient availability of resources for programmes and operations activities.
- Knowledge and capacity building
- Promote a culture of highest ethical standards and behavior in management of UNICEF’s resources.
- Support initiatives for management improvement by capturing, institutionalizing and sharing best practices and lessons learned.
- Recommend improvements in processes and procedures to enhance productivity and performance including implementation of cost saving strategies.
- Participate and/or organize training and learning events to build capacity of staff and stakeholders/partners.
- Support operations of the office as required.
(Ad) Are you still finding it difficult to search for donors online? Join Premium and use our powerful Donor Search mechanism to find relevant donors based on your country and location or keyword. Our specially developed algorithm will search across the internet for the most relevant and useful donors of your interest willing to fund your work. Learn more.
Applicants must have:
- A first level university degree in accounting, financial management or another related financial field is required.
- Supplemental formal financial / accounting training may be accepted if university degree is not in a related financial field.
- Diploma qualification in CIPFA is acceptable in lieu of relevant university degree, or its equivalent.
- Minimum 2 years of relevant professional experience in financial management or audit is required.
- Experience in an international organization and/or large corporation is preferred.
- Experience in a UN system agency or organization some of which served in a developing country is considered as an asset.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, especially Excel required.
- Experience in database packages, web based management systems and ERP systems (preferably SAP financial modules) is considered as an asset.
- Experience with IPSAS and/or IFRS is considered as an asset.
- Developing country work experience and/or familiarity with emergency is considered an asset.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Knowledge of another official UN language is an asset.
How to Apply
(Ad) Not able to keep track of so may different grant opportunities and their deadlines? No problem! fundsforNGOs Premium has a handy tool called "Deadline Calendar." This tool will help you keep track of all upcoming grant opportunities and their deadlines and view them in a beautiful calendar format. Learn more.
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit UNICEF.
(Ad) Are you looking for readymade proposals? fundsforNGOs Premium has a vast collection of Sample Proposals from successful grantees around the world. These proposals are available for viewing so that you can quickly get new ideas, best practices, lessons learned and develop your proposal in the perfect manner. Learn more.