Deadline: 7 January 2020
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Head of Operations, Administration in Bonn, Germany. The duration of this post is 1 year.
UNEP’s mission is to provide leadership and encourage partnership in caring for the environment by inspiring, informing, and enabling nations and peoples to improve their quality of life without compromising that of future generations.
Key Job Responsibilities
The Head of Operations, Administration will perform the following functions-
- Budget and Financial Management:
- Provide strategic direction in the preparation of the budget, guiding the fund management officer and programme officers in incorporating the IPBES work programme planned activities into the budget and within approved levels.
- Lead, oversee and coordinate the implementation of the budget to ensure compatibility with work priorities and objectives, taking into account the most effective use of resources.
- Initiate processes to improve budget reporting systems and cost-effective utilization of program resources.
- Manage and ensure certification of all transactions through the UN ERP System (Umoja) are within Plenary approved budgets and established UN regulations and rules.
- Procurement and General Administration:
- Coordinate with substantive officers to ensure that they have the capability and resources to meet programme needs.
- Oversee the procurement processes, implementing and monitoring support services, including procurement of supplies and services, travel, and information technology support in line with the service requirements.
- Supervise and provide strategic leadership and advice to the administrative team and colleagues on issues and practices regarding administrative and general services.
- Streamline the internal procedures of the secretariat to ensure prompt administrative service delivery.
- Human Resource Management:
- Initiate and coordinate actions covering the entire span of human resource activities, including recruitment, placement, promotion, performance appraisal, vacancies, job classification reviews, separation of staff members and training; ensuring consistency in the application of UN rules and procedures.
- Initiate contract renewals in collaboration with the Executive Secretary.
- Provide expert advice on conditions of service, duties and responsibilities and privileges and entitlements under the Staff Rules and Regulations.
- Keep staff updated on relevant human resources-related developments and overseeing the compliance of the secretariat staff with applicable rules and regulations.
Applicants must have:
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business or public administration, finance, accounting or related area.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum 7 years of progressively responsible work experience in administration, budget, finance, accounting and procurement is required.
- Experience in Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems is required.
- Experience in People Soft applications is required.
- Prior work experience of UN human resources management is desirable.
- Prior intergovernmental work experience is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required.
- Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit UNEP.