Deadline : 2 October 2019
World Health Organization (WHO) is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Administrative Assistant in Washington, D.C, United States. The duration of this post is 2 years.
The primary role of WHO is to direct and coordinate international health within the United Nations system.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Administrative Assistant will perform the following functions:
- Perform administrative support functions, including but not limited to maintaining the agendas of the supervisors, place and answer telephone calls, handle those of routine nature or forward call to the appropriate officer(s), receive visitors; maintain the calendar of appointments and deadlines; prepare routine correspondence in English and Spanish.
- Draft articles, reports, technical documents, charts, and a variety of correspondence involving the use of technical terminology; prepare agendas and other material for use on official trips or special meetings.
- Coordinate the administrative services of the units with the Administrative Assistant III, who supports the Department Director; distribute special assignments to other administrative support staff as appropriate; brief and train new staff on administrative procedures and practices and give guidance, as required.
- Review all incoming correspondence which require action by supervisors; identify urgent matters, and ensure that these are handled expeditiously, determining which can be answered by specific department personnel.
- Gather necessary background documentation for correspondence requiring action; make recommendations regarding the appropriate action to be taken; monitor that deadlines for responses are met; follow up with various personnel in the department for the submission of reports and formulation of correspondence.
- Assist in the preparation of presentations and reports by reviewing, correcting and/or rewriting texts to improve clarity, conciseness and, coherence.
- Prepare and verify the content of tables, graphs, and charts; follow up on the submission of reports and correspondence in order to meet established deadlines.
- Serve as liaison regarding logistical and operational processes and activities, as well as with other offices throughout the Organization; communicate procedures to be followed for meetings of Governing Bodies, advisory committees, etc.
- Prepare correspondence on own initiative or from verbal instructions for signature; prepare draft translations of correspondence and other materials from English into Spanish and vice versa.
- Review all outgoing correspondence requiring official signature; proofread for style, punctuation, grammar, spelling and adherence to the Organization’s standards and policies; recommend revisions to correspondence and other documents to ensure that they are clear and accurate in content.
- Assist in the coordination, preparation and implementation of internal and external meetings, conferences, seminars, or other events; prepare correspondence and documentation as needed.
- Monitor the status of documentation for the appointment and recruitment of professional and general service staff, consultants, short-term professionals, contractors, and carry out the necessary steps in PAHO’s ERP system (PMIS) to successfully complete HR actions.
Applicants must have:
(Ad) Are you still finding it difficult to search for donors online? Join Premium and use our powerful Donor Search mechanism to find relevant donors based on your country and location or keyword. Our specially developed algorithm will search across the internet for the most relevant and useful donors of your interest willing to fund your work. Learn more.
- Certification of completion of high school.
- 5 years of administrative work experience.
- At least 2 years’ experience in events management, logistics, editing and/or senior administrative duties would be an asset.
- Very good knowledge of English and Spanish.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively use a computer and utilize software programs such as Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. Other IT skills and knowledge of other software programs such as Webex, Visio, Microsoft SharePoint and Project would be an asset.
- Nationality of United States.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
(Ad) Not able to keep track of so may different grant opportunities and their deadlines? No problem! fundsforNGOs Premium has a handy tool called "Deadline Calendar." This tool will help you keep track of all upcoming grant opportunities and their deadlines and view them in a beautiful calendar format. Learn more.
For more information, please visit WHO.