Deadline: 30 June 2022
United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Legal Specialist, Legal Unit, Office of the Executive Director in New York, United States. The duration of this post is 1 year.
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled.
Key Job Responsibilities
The Legal Specialist, Legal Unit, Office of the Executive Director will perform the following functions-
- Provide legal advice, in coordination with UN/OLA and UNFPA DHR as appropriate, to UNFPA management, headquarters units and country/regional offices on the application of the Staff Regulations, Rules and procedures governing the internal justice system and other relevant aspects of employment and human resources management, including disciplinary matters, privileges and immunities, rights and obligations of staff, legal status of staff and their dependants, financial recovery, taxation and insurance issues;
- Prepare written responses and other submissions as required on behalf of the Administration in response to applications and other submissions filed before the United Nations Dispute Tribunal (UNDT)
- Represent the Administration before the UNDT, including but not limited to, in directions hearings and hearings on the merits
- Generally attend to all stages of proceedings before the UNDT as well as the conduct of settlement negotiations and/or mediation proceedings where required;
- Provide advice to senior officials regarding requests for management evaluation; draft responses to requests for management evaluation;
- Assist in the drafting and interpretation of policies and procedures involving administrative/employment law issues;
- Generally provide advice on a broad range of issues involving substantive and procedural questions of administrative law;
- Provide legal opinions and perform extensive legal research and analysis on legal issues for the office;
- Represent the UNFPA legal function in relevant meetings, when required;
- Provide advice on issues related to privileges and immunities of staff members as appropriate;
- Provide legal advice concerning contract disputes involving service contractors and individual consultants;
- Perform other legal functions as requested by the Chief, Legal Unit.
Applicants must have:
- Advanced university degree in law.
- Specialization in international law, labor law and/or administrative law an asset;
- Admitted to practice law in national jurisdiction.
- 5 year’s experience in the practice of international law with a law firm, a government and/or an international organization;
- Practical advocacy experience an asset.
- Excellent legal communications and drafting skills;
- Excellent capability to manage risk.
- Fluency in English is required
- Knowledge of another offical UN language is an asset.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, visit UNFPA.