Deadline: 20 August 2020
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Programme Management Officer in Nairobi, Kenya.
UNEP’s mission is to provide leadership and encourage partnership in caring for the environment by inspiring, informing, and enabling nations and peoples to improve their quality of life without compromising that of future generations.
Key Job Responsibilities
The Programme Management Officer will perform the following functions-
- Develop strategies and support implementation of institutional frameworks for UNEP to support the work of the UN Country Teams, working with the UN Development Coordination Office, its regional offices, UNEP regional and divisional offices and other related UN entities.
- Draft policies and strategies for the integration of the environmental dimension of sustainable development into Common Country Analyses and UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Frameworks.
- Review relevant documents and reports.
- Identify problems and issues to be addressed and initiates corrective actions.
- Research, organize and prepare written outputs e.g. draft background papers, analyze sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications.
- Support and coordinate, high-level presence and messaging for High-level Political Forum, Environmental Management Group (EMG) and other relevant forums related to engaging with the UN Development System.
- Coordinate policy development, including review and analysis of issues and trends, work closely with Divisions, Regional offices and Multilateral Environmental Agreements (MEAs) to offer to Member States support in the development of relevant environmental policies, laws and norms to achieve the 2030 Agenda and the SDGs at the local, national, regional and global levels using integrated approaches.
- Coordinate the development and communication of strategic partnerships.
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
Applicants must have:
- Advanced University Degree (Master’s Degree or equivalent in in international relations, environmental policy/science, business administration, project planning and management, or related disciplines, is required.
- First Level University Degree in combination with 2 additional year’s of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum 7 years of progressively responsible experience working in policy, inter-governmental and inter-agency activities related to sustainable development, programme planning or related area, is required.
- Working experience in an international organization such as the United Nations or similar is desirable.
- Working experience on 2030 Agenda and Sustainable Development Goals is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
- Fluency in written and oral English is required.
- Working knowledge of other UN official languages is desirable.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, visit UNEP.