Deadline: 31 May 2020
Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Public Information Officer in Geneva, Switzerland.
(Ad) Still, finding it difficult to find new grants and donors to support your work? No way to easily search and identify upcoming funding opportunities? No idea how to raise funds? We have a solution for you. Our Premium Membership service answers all your questions. Learn more.
The mission of OHCHR is to work for the protection of all human rights for all people, to help empower people to realize their rights and to assist those responsible for upholding such rights in ensuring that they are implemented.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
(Ad) Too many advertisements on this website? Get an ad-free and fully optimized website experience to find grants and donors of your interest. Premium Membership service offers a clean and user-friendly interface for you to raise funds successfully! Learn more.
The Public Information Officer will perform the following functions:
- Serve as focal point for public information and communications on all matters concerning the Human Rights Council (HRC), its regular and special sessions, the Universal Periodic Review (UPR) and other Council mechanisms and subsidiary organs.
- Communicate and disseminate relevant information, including through press briefings and various online tools and platforms.
- Provide advice and expertise to the President of the HRC, managers, senior officers and other public information staff on a range of public affairs issues, methods, and approaches; anticipates and resolves communications/public relations issues/problems relating to the HRC.
- Develop strategic partnerships with key constituencies to elicit support for and maximize impact of promotional objectives.
- Serve as a spokesperson/principal liaison to media organizations, governmental bodies, national groups, private sector organizations, educational organizations, international organizations, etc.
- Prepare or oversee preparation of a diverse range of information communications products in support of the HRC.
- Draft complex material for UN newsletters, periodicals, reports and books and edits drafts prepared by junior officers.
(Ad) Premium Membership offers unlimited search options to find your grants and donors. Search by country or thematic area of your work interest or even by keyword. View the number of open grants for your country. on a Google Map. Keep a watch on grant deadlines through a calendar. Learn more.
Applicants must have:
- Advanced University Degree (Master’s Degree or equivalent) in communication, journalism, international relations, public administration or related field.
- First-Level University Degree in combination with 2 additional years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum 7 year’s of progressively responsible experience in public information, journalism, international relations, public administration or related area is required.
- Experience of managing media relations and public information for UN intergovernmental bodies is desirable.
- Experience of managing media relations for the Human Rights Council and its human rights commissions of inquiry and fact-finding missions is desirable.
- Experience in leading a team of public information specialists working in the field of human rights is also desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
- Fluency in English or French, (both oral and written) is required.
- Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
How to Apply
(Ad) Too many emails about grants, but too few leads? Join Premium and use our Specific Email Alerts feature where you can select your country/countries and thematic areas of work interest and receive grant information accordingly. Learn more.
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, visit OHCHR.
(Ad) Our Premium Donor Search feature works like a mini-search engine. As soon as you define the search criteria and click on search, it scans the internet for the best possible matches of donor agencies based according to your interest and presents a list that you need. Learn more.