Deadline: 10 June 2020
Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of External Affairs and Advocacy Manager in United Kingdom.
VSO is the world’s leading international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty.
Key Job Responsibilities
The External Affairs and Advocacy Manager will perform the following functions-
- Oversea VSO’s Parliamentary and political engagement in the UK
- Represent VSO externally at the highest levels in the UK and with key international institutions to deliver on VSO’s organisational and advocacy objectives, including with senior political stakeholders.
- Provide expert political insight, political judgement, briefings, intelligence and advice to senior internal stakeholders (including the CEO), to inform advocacy priorities, advise senior leaders and support the organisation’s reputation.
- Effectively manage the UK Parliamentary relations officer to develop and maintain relationships with key decision makers in the UK and deliver on VSO’s Parliamentary programme.
- Lead the coordination of VSO’s response to all relevant Government and political consultations, effectively gathering input from relevant stakeholders to produce high quality submissions.
- Support VSO’s work in championing public support for international development with returned volunteer networks in the UK through effective management of Volunteer Engagement Officer.
- Coordinate VSO’s Global Advocacy Strategy and positioning work
- Work across VSO’s programme teams to develop evidence-based advocacy positions on key issues to support our external engagement work and deliver on VSO’s Global Advocacy strategy.
- Work with coalitions and key external partners including the Volunteer Groups Alliance to champion the role of volunteering in delivering the SDGs – including though coordinating VSO’s global engagement in SDG review processes (Voluntary National Reviews and the High Level Political Forum).
- Actively seek opportunities and support the voice and evidence from VSO’s primary actors and volunteers to engage in relevant debates and international fora.
Applicants must have:
- Strong understanding of UK political structures, processes and policy-making.
- Demonstrable ability to analyse and synthesise complex information into briefing material appropriate for key external stakeholders.
- Experience of developing and implementing lobbying strategies (within the UK or internationally) with a track record of success.
- Substantial experience of representation at a senior level.
- Experience in dealing and negotiating with co-workers at all levels and across different cultures.
- Proven experience of developing and maintaining a broad range of relevant, positive working relationships, both external and internal.
- Ability to maintain a proactive and accessible approach under pressure.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and use of emotional intelligence in a variety of contexts.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, visit VSO.