Deadline: 10 June 2020
Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Agriculture and Food System Specialist in Colombo, Sri Lanka. The duration of this post is 17 months.
Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) is a specialized agency of the United Nations that leads international efforts to defeat hunger.
Key Job Responsibilities
The Agriculture and Food System Specialist will perform the following functions-
- Contribute to establishing a stakeholder mechanism with buy-in for the project –
- Review current institutional/stakeholder coordination mechanisms related to CRFS.
- Conduct a gap analysis of climate resilience in urban food systems in policies, strategies and budget allocations (jointly with IWMI).
- Assist the lead project focal establishing a CRFS governance mechanism by appointing a core group which is part of an existing climate change stakeholder platform which could be an advisory group with expertise from agriculture, environment, urban planning and other relevant sectors.
- Commence a participatory dialogue process with food system and climate risk related stakeholders and agree on a shared vision.
- Develop a jointly planned approach by the above stakeholders to collaborate on the project in supporting expected outputs – e.g. their role in workshop sessions, collaborations with regional government stakeholders and agriculture institutions and support on capacity building activities. (stakeholder sessions to continue).
- Stock-take and catalogue successful interventions and lessons learned on climate resilient good practices within food systems locally and internationally;
- Create a repository of information on these practices and make it available through a knowledge sharing platform for food system actors servicing the urban region and reduce information asymmetry between different actors. (up to August 2020).
Applicants must have:
- Advanced Degree in Agriculture or related fields with expertise in Climate Resilience and Adaptation in Agriculture and food systems.
- At least 10 year’s of progressively responsible work experience in the field of agriculture and especially on climate change issues, including specific experience in the development of Climate-Smart Agriculture (CSA).
- Good oral and written communication skills in English.
- Working knowledge of Sinhala/Tamil is desirable.
- Computer literacy at working level is required.
- Working experience in data collection and analytical work.
- Good research and communication skills.
- Nationality of Sri Lanka.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit applications through online process.
For more information, visit FAO.