Deadline: 26 October 2018
The World Bank Group (WBG) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Agriculture Economist in Cotonou, Benin. The duration of this post is 3 years.
The Agriculture Economist will contribute to the development and implementation of the Agriculture GP’s work program in Benin.
WBG has set two ambitious goals first is reducing extreme poverty to 3% by 2030 and second is promoting shared prosperity by fostering income growth of the bottom 40% of the population in every country.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Agriculture Economist will perform the following functions-
- Contribute as core team member to the preparation and implementation of selected operations, both in agriculture and multi-sectoral ones, as well as those led by other GPs (e.g. DPOs) assuring quality in all stages of the project cycle.
- Serve as the focal point for liaison with key counterparts and other partners for colleagues working with the Benin program, providing them with advice and support as needed.
- Work with the relevant Program Leaders and staff of the Agriculture GP and other GPs to identify opportunities for addressing agricultural issues in Benin as part of the World Bank’s Systematic Country Diagnostic, Country Partnership Framework, country policy dialogue, sector investment operations, budget support operations, and other multi-sectoral projects.
- Stay abreast of relevant developments for Benin’s agri-food sector and effectively communicate them to the country team.
- Identify innovative opportunities or ways to address existing needs in the agri-food sector.
- Remain current with relevant major pieces of analytical work in the profession. Participate in strategic analytical work in Benin and/or on a sub-regional level, and work with teams engaged in analytical work relevant to the Agriculture GP’s work program in Benin.
- Represent the World Bank in fora involving the community of development partners. Provide support, either explicit or implicit, to the work of the development partners in the sector.
- As necessary, represent the World Bank and the Agriculture GP’s management at events with sectoral focus that take place in the field.
- Develop strong client relations and partnership, including with the International Finance Corporation, on operational matters and policy dialogue.
- Work with other Global Practices in representing Benin specific issues in regional and corporate strategies.
- Initiate and maintain a high level and quality of engagement and dialogue with key stakeholders, including government, civil society, private sector and research/academic community on strategic and policy issues concerning the agri-food sector in Benin.
- The selected candidate will report to the Agriculture GP’s Practice Manager for West Africa. S/he will coordinate closely with the AFMBJ Country Management Unit, and with the Sustainable Development Program Leader for AFCF2.
Applicants must have-
- Master’s, MBA or PhD in Agricultural Economics, Economics, or in a relevant discipline.
- At least 5 years of experience on agricultural development issues (three years if PhD).
- Strong technical and analytical skills in the range of issue of relevance to agriculture.
- Familiarity with the institutional context of African agricultural development would be an advantage.
- Team player able to function in a fast-paced, multi-sectoral and multi-cultural environment.
- Excellent interpersonal, problem-solving and team skills with ability to find balanced, pragmatic and implementable solutions also in a multi-disciplinary context.
- High level of energy, ability to work under pressure, and willingness to travel and work under challenging conditions.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and in French, including the ability to present complex issues to World Bank management and senior Government representatives, as well as to non-specialist audiences.
- Nationality of Benin.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit WBG.