Deadline: 28 January 2021
Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Early Warning Capacity Building Specialists in Kampala, Uganda. The duration of this post is 12 months.
Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) is a specialized agency of the United Nations that leads international efforts to defeat hunger.
Key Job Responsibilities
The Early Warning Capacity Building Specialists will perform the following functions-
- In consultation with the Drought Monitoring and Early Warning Consultant and the Field Supervisor/Head Of Moroto Office, design training materials Design training manuals for community data collectors, community leaders and representatives as well as district head of departments and early warning focal persons.
- Build the capacity of District Early Warning Focal Persons (DEWFP) through trainings and follow up, regarding all components of DEWS with a focus on data analysis and production of timely drought bulletins.
- Take stock of the existing DEWS equipment from previous implementation and make recommendations on replacements and ensure that they are in safe custody and in good working condition for a functional and operationally active system.
- Ensure all equipment in the district needed for the functionality of the system are operational and active.
- Monitor the achievement of the districts and community and provide appropriate technical/advisory support where needed in regard to the DEWS in consultation with Field Supervisor and Drought Monitoring and Early Warning Consultant.
- Facilitate and encourage buy-in of all the DEWS processes by DLGs including ownership and sustainability of the system through DLG budget allocations.
Applicants must have:
- Bachelor’s Degree in agro-meteorology, meteorology, hydrology, agriculture, natural resources management, environmental sciences, or a related field.
- Minimum 5 year’s of relevant experience in drought management, disaster risk reduction, agricultural meteorology, data analysis, or disaster risk reduction and management.
- Work experience with and knowledge of information technology and computer programming languages and/or data science would be considered an advantage.
- Nationality of Uganda.
- Working knowledge of English.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit applications through online process.
For more information, visit FAO.