Deadline: 11 October 2020
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Director, Cities Alliance in Brussels, Belgium. The duration of this post is 2 years.
UNOPS mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure, and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Key Job Responsibilities
The Director, Cities Alliance will perform the following functions:
- Management Board
- Oversee the provision of high-quality strategic information to the Management Board to facilitate its role in setting policies and strategies. This includes regular, high-level strategic analysis, advice, and communication in its strategic, results and risk management roles, in active collaboration with the Chair of the Management Board.
- Facilitate and promotes communication between the Management Board and partners on policy and programme issues. This includes regular monitoring and clear reporting of progress toward key targets.
- Strategy and Planning
- Lead the development of the Strategic Plan and Annual Work Plans, with time-bound targets and milestones for fulfilling the Cities Alliance vision and ensures their timely approval by the Management Board.
- Ensure that the Cities Alliance Strategic Plan is aligned with, and actively contributes to, implementation of Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development, the Paris Climate Agreement, and the New Urban Agenda.
- Resource Mobilization
- Lead and coordinate all efforts toward clear targets to urgently mobilize additional financial resources in order to sustain the organization.
- Ensure the development and management of an effective and proven resource mobilization strategy which underpins Cities Alliance’ sustainability and growth.
Applicants must have:
- University degree (Master’s Degree or equivalent), preferably in urban planning, economics, social science, international development, public policy and administration, or related area.
- 15 year’s experience of senior management, strategy development and implementation, resource mobilization, advocacy, programme management, and/or related areas, preferably with a combination of service in either the public, private, or non-profit sectors at an international level is required.
- 3 year’s experience in an international political/diplomatic arena or related area, preferably involving urban development and the role of cities.
- Experience in a bilateral or multilateral development is an advantage.
- Experience of building successful partnership-based approaches to development would be an advantage.
- Experience in successful business development and fundraising would be an advantage.
- Knowledge of issues affecting urban development and the role of cities, especially in the global south. A particular understanding of gender issues, and citywide approaches to inclusive development, would be a distinct advantage.
- Knowledge of the delivery of high-quality programmes and their implementation modalities and challenges, especially in the Global South is an advantage.
- Fluency in English (both oral and written) is required, good working knowledge of another UN language (esp. French) would be an asset.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, visit UNOPS.