Deadline: 18 October 2017
The World Bank Group (WBG) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Environmental Specialist in Bujumbura, Burundi.
The Environmental Specialist will provide technical expertise on a variety of environmental issues related to investment operations, including about adaptation to climate change, natural resources management and green and inclusive growth.
WBG has set 2 ambitious goals to push extreme poverty to no more 3 percent by 2030, and to promote shared prosperity and greater equity in the developing world.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Environmental Specialist will perform the following functions-
- Participate as team member in the preparation and supervision of environmental safeguards policy requirements in different Bank funded operations, including participating in identification missions; support implementation of safeguards policy requirements and seeking opportunities to integrate sound environmental management and policies in various investment operations; maintain regular dialogue with the client and enhance their capacity on environmental policies; and contribute to the preparation of project documents.
- Help develop sustainable local and national consultation mechanisms and strategies, including providing technical guidance to support the implementation of revised safeguard policies with capacity building for national teams, consultants and stakeholders in government and NGOs.
- Participate as a team member in the preparation and supervision of the activities related to the Landscape Restoration program.
- Provide expert advice to client and counterpart organizations, project teams and GP management on technical natural resources management matters (with an emphasis in forests, biodiversity conservation and climate change themes).
- Lead or participate in analytical studies, support other analytical work on different natural resources management topics, and stay abreast of developments in natural resources management and climate change adaptation/mitigation and on cross-cutting issues.
- Support and carry out other tasks as needed to advance the overall environment/NRM/climate change portfolio in Burundi.
Applicants must have-
- Advanced degree in environmental economics, environmental science/engineering, natural resources management or related field, preferably with major in 1 or more of the following areas: environmental institutions or policy, environmental health or pollution, forestry, biodiversity or climate change.
- Minimum 5 years of full-time relevant professional experience in the environment sector.
- Knowledge and experience in 1 or more of the following areas: environmental management, environmental sector policy, or integrated development planning or climate change mitigation or adaption, in various sectors (e.g., water supply and sanitation; transport, energy, natural disaster management, rural development, environmental pollution and health).
- Fluency in French and English is required (writing, speaking, listening and reading).
- Nationality of Burundi.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit WBG.