Deadline: 27 August 2021
Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Agriculture Officer in Santiago, Chile. The duration of this post is 2 years.
Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) is a specialized agency of the United Nations that leads international efforts to defeat hunger.
Key Job Responsibilities
The Agriculture Officer will perform the following functions-
- Lead the strategic thinking and planning on agricultural innovation systems and digitalization of agriculture in the Regional Office and contributes to the development of innovative programmes and initiatives at country and regional levels in support of food and agriculture systems.
- Support Members in assessment of needs of agricultural innovation systems and provides national policy support and strategy development support to enact innovative initiatives and digital solutions from the perspectives of governance, policy, technology, communication and partnerships, and capacity building.
- Plan, formulate, implement and scales up initiatives and programmes to facilitate innovation deployment and digital solutions for more efficient and sustainable farming (crops, livestock), resource use (land and water, forests, fisheries) and food systems (production, processing, trade, consumption and waste) taking into account the needs, priorities and capacities of small-scale farmers, women, youth and other marginalized communities.
- Develop, maintain and strengthen strategic partnerships with specialized UN agencies, research institutions, extension agencies, private innovation hubs, and universities at the forefront of innovation and digital solutions including digital extension and best practices in support of FAO’s mandate and priorities.
- Promote synergies and coordination of innovation activities with FAO’s Hand-in-Hand Initiative (HIHI) in the region, aligns regional innovation activities with the FAO Office for Innovation, the regional and national innovation hubs.
Applicant must have:
- Advanced University Degree in agricultural sciences, agricultural economics, information and communication technologies for development, food science, political economy, development economics, rural sociology, food security, nutrition, sustainable agriculture (including livestock, forestry and fisheries), agricultural engineering, systems analytics or related field.
- 7 year’s relevant experience in policy and strategy advice and analysis relating to innovation and digital solutions applied to, or relevant to, food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development.
- Strategic understanding of complex policy processes and demonstrated capacity to promote intersectoral approaches to and good governance of technological innovation and digitalization.
- Working knowledge (level C) of Spanish and English.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, visit FAO.