Deadline: 10 January 2019
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Programme Specialist – Urban Development in Bangkok, Thailand.
The Programme Specialist is responsible for policy and programme advisory services to Country Offices, developing regional initiatives on urbanization, and helping create and utilize products and tools relevant to key urban themes.
UNDP works in nearly 170 countries and territories, helping to achieve the eradication of poverty, and the reduction of inequalities and exclusion.
(Ad) Stop getting irritated with excessing advertisements. View the information you want quickly on a clean, ad-free and exclusive Member Dashboard that offers tools to search for grants, view latest grant opportunities, upcoming deadlines, sample proposals, downloadable ebooks and also organize your favourites! Learn more.
Key Job Responsibilities
The Programme Specialist – Urban Development will perform the following functions:
(Ad) Are you still finding it difficult to search for donors online? Join Premium and use our powerful Donor Search mechanism to find relevant donors based on your country and location or keyword. Our specially developed algorithm will search across the internet for the most relevant and useful donors of your interest willing to fund your work. Learn more.
- Programme/Project Development and Management
- Support definition of a compelling UNDP urban offering and the formulation of regional initiatives on urbanization that forge strong cross-thematic linkages while addressing existing development gaps and challenges.
- Support Country Offices to develop and implement urban-focused initiatives at the national, sub-national and local levels, with a particular focus on identifying and responding to unmet and tacit needs of city authorities.
- Policy Advice and Fostering Innovation
- Help define UNDP’s offering related to the next generation of city services, helping ensure alignment with current trends both regionally and internationally and support for city needs.
- Advise BRH, UNDP Country Offices, national and local governments, and other actors, especially for developing a coherent portfolio of interventions that addresses the type and scale of complex problems facing cities.
- Partnerships and Resource Mobilization
- Undertake the development of strategic partnership and resource mobilization activities for the regional urban programme, in line with the Bureau’s partnership and resource mobilization strategy.
- Enhance partnerships with various stakeholders, in particular to support the quadrilateral “UNDP-ASEAN-China-Japan partnership”.
- Knowledge Management
- Produce think pieces and contribute to other activities that help position UNDP’s urban offering externally, help shape demand from local authorities, and support development of new partnerships (including non-traditional players in this space).
- Prepare briefings, speeches, presentations and other materials on urban-related issues and SDG achievement in various fora, including academia and civil society, with a view to deepening related political commitment and related reforms.
Applicants must have:
(Ad) Not able to keep track of so may different grant opportunities and their deadlines? No problem! fundsforNGOs Premium has a handy tool called "Deadline Calendar." This tool will help you keep track of all upcoming grant opportunities and their deadlines and view them in a beautiful calendar format. Learn more.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in urban development, urban planning, development economics, or related disciplines.
- At least 5 years of professional work experience in programme/project development and management in the area of Urbanization, Smart Cities, or related issues in different development contexts.
- Experience of working in private sector in the Asia Pacific region is an asset.
- Experience of working with national and/or local governments.
- Experience with development planning processes and familiarity with the SDGs.
- English. Other official language of the UN will be desirable.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
- Knowledge of Urban Governance, Planning, and Development and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations.
- Ability to plan, organize, and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals.
- Ability to engage with other agencies, donors, and other development stakeholders and forge productive working relationships.
- Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
(Ad) Are you looking for readymade proposals? fundsforNGOs Premium has a vast collection of Sample Proposals from successful grantees around the world. These proposals are available for viewing so that you can quickly get new ideas, best practices, lessons learned and develop your proposal in the perfect manner. Learn more.
For more information, please visit UNDP.