Deadline: 16 June 2019
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Urban Economic Development Specialist in Brussels, Belgium. The duration of this post is 1 year.
The Urban Economic Development Specialist will be responsible for the management of the Joint Work Programme in Equitable Economic Growth in Cities.
UNOPS mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure, and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Urban Economic Development Specialist will perform the following functions:
- Project Management
- Establish and facilitate the delivery of agreed annual work plans of the JWP between DFID, other donors as appropriate, and the Cities Alliance, within tolerances.
- Collaboration with head of unit/supervisor to review the operational and strategic aspects of the proposed work packages.
- Strategic oversight and effective monitoring of JWP progress and implementation, development and delivery of the required products, taking corrective action as required.
- Prepare regular highlight reports to the director to monitor progress and flag emerging issues and risks.
- Partnership, networking and advocacy
- Maintain a solid working relationship with the UK Department for International Development (DFID), other donors and key stakeholders of the JWP.
- Manage the information flows between the JWP Group, DFID, and country stakeholders.
- Actively seek out and follow up on business development opportunities related to economic development in cities and the themes of the JWP, including opportunities for subsequent JWP phases.
- Service delivery and quality assurance
- Ensure compliance with quality assurance mechanism for all processes and product delivery mechanisms including grants, procurements and deployment of consultants.
- Ensure that all expenditure comply with UNOPS/Cities Alliance Financial Rules and Regulations (FRR).
- Manage the JWP budget, cash flow and expenditures, in consultation with head of unit/supervisor, to ensure that deliverables are met and payments to contractors and consultants are issued on time.
- Team Building and Personnel Management
- Supervision of the work of support staff under the JWP project management team and related work packages.
- Manage, in coordination with head of unit/supervisor the use of a global roster of senior economists available for the deployment within the JWP and beyond.
- Keep abreast of and incorporate latest/best practices, approaches and technology to enhance the project delivery and results.
Applicants must have-
- Master’s degree in Economics, Urban Studies, Business Administration, Development Studies, Finance, Social Sciences, Political Science or related fields required.
- PhD (Doctorate) in any of these fields would be an asset.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in international development on urban development issues, such as economic growth in cities, urbanisation, urban poverty, entrepreneurship, informality, urban planning, infrastructure planning, municipal finance or other comparable fields.
- Experience in the UN system organizations and/or a developing country is considered as an asset.
- Fluency in English is required.
- French language skills would be an asset.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit at UNOPS.