Deadline: 6 June 2019
The World Bank Group (WBG) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Urban Economist in Pretoria, South Africa. The duration of this post 3 years.
The Urban Economist will be responsible for the daily management and implementation of activities under “Economic Development” thematic area of the South African urban RAS (RAS2) and possible future Trust Funds in the urban sector in South Africa.
WBG has set two ambitious goals to push extreme poverty to no more 3 percent by 2030, and to promote shared prosperity and greater equity in the developing world.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Urban Economist will perform the following functions-
- Identify, contract and manage experts and consultants and ensuring high quality deliverables.
- Make direct technical contributions to client engagements, in particular analytical and policy reports, and technical support and advisor services.
- These should be made at a fully professional technical standard, representing the best available knowledge and expertise on the issue at hand.
- Liaise with National Treasury, relevant sectoral departments and client metros in order to plan and execute project activities.
- Support task team leaders in operational matters, contribution the production of key deliverables, mission preparation and execution, as well as budget management and meeting reporting requirements.
- The staff member will report to the Task Team leaders for the various thematic areas on program management and direct delivery matters.
- The staff member will be mapped to the Urban and DRM Unit for Africa (South and East, GSU13) and report to the Practice Manager.
- Technical assistance to metros to improve urban economic development skillset of staff.
- Support and drive a set of engagements in selected metros promoting partnerships across municipal and national departments as well as between cities and the private sector.
Applicants must have-
- Master’s degree in Urban Development/Economic/Business/Public Policy (or related discipline).
- At least 5 years of experience directly related to the development agenda, in particular on competitiveness and private sector policy/development issues at sub-national level (regional/local/urban).
- Past operational experience in areas of private sector development, public sector reforms or working with multilateral organisations and/or non-governmental organisations.
- In-depth knowledge of private sector development issues as they are manifested in South African cities.
- Strong theoretical base combining a broad grasp of relevant theory and principles and of involved practices and precedent.
- Ability to translate theory into practical applications in context of World Bank Group.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, including strong command of all forms of communication with messages delivered consistently effectively, timely and in an engaging manner.
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English is essential.
- Prior knowledge and working experience in South Africa are preferred, including a knowledge of the local political economy context, institutional environment, and private sector landscape.
- The specialist will be expected to be located in the World Bank Group’s Pretoria office in South Africa.
- Noting a possible future office relocation of WBG offices to Johannesburg.
- Nationality of South Africa.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit WBG.