Deadline: 07 June 2019
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Advisor Governance & Peacebuilding in Dakar, Senegal. The duration of this post is 1 year.
The Advisor Governance & Peacebuilding is responsible for leading the provision of technical expertise and policy and programme advisory services to Country Offices and, where appropriate, with key UN and external partners.
UNDP works in nearly 170 countries and territories, helping to achieve the eradication of poverty, and the reduction of inequalities and exclusion.
Key Job Responsibilities
The Advisor Governance & Peacebuilding will perform the following functions-
- Substantive leadership and quality assurance of policy advisory services:
- Navigate entry points and/or pivotal considerations for integrating peacebuilding and governance within regional and country-specific strategies for achieving the SDGs, including the UN Integrated Strategy for the Sahel (UNISS).
- Provide timely advice on issues/areas related to governance to stakeholders in the framework of the UNISS Support Plan and Sahel Alliance priorities, including but not limited to UNDP, UN regional agencies, government counterparts, civil society organizations, donor community.
- Work with the Regional Bureau’s Country Advisors to ensure relevant, timely and multi-disciplinary response to Country needs for policy services.
- Coordination and delivery of technical assistance, policy development and programme support:
- Facilitate the engagement of regional policy advisors / technical experts who are part of the SDG Integrator cadre for advisory services in governance and peacebuilding, as per scoping agreements.
- Support Resource Mobilisation within the UNISS Support Plan.
- Advise on resource mobilization/financial assistance as required and coordinate approvals as required.
- Substantive leadership for content development and curation of tools and resources, from across UNDP’s network of expertise:
- Provide technical expertise in identifying tools, developing methodologies and producing knowledge management products linked to crisis-related governance and peacebuilding, migration and displacement, and development intervention in fragile contexts, including with a specific focus on gender-related issues.
- Provide technical expertise on the content development for regional/CO knowledge products through the analysis of data, case evidence, and research findings in accordance with corporate standards.
- Knowledge management and community of practice networking:
- Contribute to the continuous analysis, documentation, codification of regional results/lessons learned.
- Review regional data, case evidence and research findings to distill pivotal lessons for UNDP globally.
- Representation, advocacy, and partner engagement for effective policy positioning in the region:
- Advocate the application of ground-breaking peacebuilding and governance approaches, especially as an integrated approach to achieving the SDGs, within the UNISS Support Plan and in different country fora with a view to deepen related political commitment and related reforms, including the Women, Peace and Security Agenda.
- Represent UNDP within engagements in interagency coordination in peacebuilding and governance policy areas in particular within the Sahel Alliance.
- Provide technical advice on relationship management of regional partners and resource mobilization in line with the coporate priorities of UNDP in Africa and Crisis Bureau priorities and corporate guidelines;
Applicants must have-
- Master’s degree, preferably in international development, law, international affairs, business administration, development economics, or other relevant field, or extensive compensating experience in governance and peacebuilding.
- Minimum 10 years of relevant experience in either public sectors (national or multilateral, including UN), private (academia, non-governmental sector, corporate), with increasing level of responsibility.
- Proven track record and leadership experience in the UN System related to governance, conflict prevention, human rights and peacebuilding in crisis and fragile contexts.
- Excellent negotiating and communication skills and ability to mobilize support from a wide range of partners (public, private, academic, civil society, business community leaders).
- Proven track record of management and resource mobilization skills.
- French Proficiency, English highly desirable.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit UNDP.