Deadline: 1 December 2019
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Safety Officer in Damaturu, Nigeria.
(Ad) Still, finding it difficult to find new grants and donors to support your work? No way to easily search and identify upcoming funding opportunities? No idea how to raise funds? We have a solution for you. Our Premium Membership service answers all your questions. Learn more.
The Safety Officer will be responsible for supporting the day to day oversight of DRC staff movements and ensuring that key information relevant to staff safety and security is disseminated. Advisories, Alerts and Reports to disseminate to all staff.
DRC fulfills its mandate by providing direct assistance to conflict-affected populations – refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs) and host communities in the conflict areas of the world.
(Ad) Too many advertisements on this website? Get an ad-free and fully optimized website experience to find grants and donors of your interest. Premium Membership service offers a clean and user-friendly interface for you to raise funds successfully! Learn more.
Key Job Responsibilities
The Safety Officer will perform the following functions-
(Ad) Premium Membership offers unlimited search options to find your grants and donors. Search by country or thematic area of your work interest or even by keyword. View the number of open grants for your country. on a Google Map. Keep a watch on grant deadlines through a calendar. Learn more.
- Staff movement oversight and support:
- Prior to any movement complete all security briefings for staff travelling to high-risk field locations.
- Ensure that established movement tracking protocols are adhered to by both the Safety Unit and all DRC staff.
- Responsible for the submission of the Travel Request to INSO as per Humanitarian Staff Movement Protocol.
- Coordinate with logistics staff when directed to support Field level movement oversight and support.
- Ensure that appropriate access controls are in place for all DRC facilities
- Conduct site assessments and advise on mitigation measures, as required
- Security incidents and data management:
- Draft and disseminate as required SMS alert advisories for DRC staff in the Safety Forum WhatsApp group when relevant and significant security incidents occur or elevated threat levels are reported
- Draft and disseminate detailed Email advisories for DRC staff when relevant and significant security incidents occur or elevated threat levels are reported.
- Administrative and Operational support:
- Ensure that guard payments and other administrative matters that have a direct impact on guard force readiness are completed in a timely manner.
- Ensure that the contracted guard force maintains a high standard of guarding for all DRC offices and residences, and when required take corrective action in coordination with the Guard force management
- Maintain the Safety Unit’s current asset register and oversight on all assets that are both utilized and stored (Thuraya phones, radio, etc).
- Coordinate with the DRC Logistics and Procurement department to ensure that the overall DRC asset register reflects the Safety Unit’s current asset register.
- Provide DRC staff with current contextual briefings.
- Support to International Visitors:
- Compile a current visitor arrival packet as directed. Responsible for maintaining the international visitor orientation record.
- Conduct visitor briefings and orientation on DRC safety systems, and briefing on emergency procedures, and safe rooms etc.
- Carry out any additional responsibilities and tasks as assigned by Safety Team Leader and Safety Advisor.
Applicants must have:
(Ad) Too many emails about grants, but too few leads? Join Premium and use our Specific Email Alerts feature where you can select your country/countries and thematic areas of work interest and receive grant information accordingly. Learn more.
- Tertiary education (Bachelor’s minimum) in communication, politics, risk or related field.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a field related to humanitarian work or risk management.
- Experience working with NGOs, other international agencies or multinational business.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
- Stable, moral and robust character and a good team-player.
- Excellent communication skills, calm and a good sense of humour.
- Proven commitment to accountability practices.
- Strong information technology skills.
- Competent and literate in English, verbal and written, with a sound knowledge of technical expressions.
- Demonstrative experience in INGO/NGO or UN field (operations) with experience of safety and security.
- Nationality of Nigeria.
How to Apply
Applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English through online process.
(Ad) Our Premium Donor Search feature works like a mini-search engine. As soon as you define the search criteria and click on search, it scans the internet for the best possible matches of donor agencies based according to your interest and presents a list that you need. Learn more.
For more information, please visit DRC.