Deadline: 6 October 2019
The World Food Programme (WFP) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Senior Emergency Preparedness and Response Advisor in Dakar, Senegal. The duration of this post is 1 year.
World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide.
Key Job Responsibilities
The Senior Emergency Preparedness and Response Advisor will perform the following functions-
- Emergency preparedness
- In line with WFP Emergency Preparedness and Response policies and guidelines, assist Country Offices (COs) in the implementation of relevant, timely and adequate emergency preparedness measures, including but not limited to Minimum Preparedness Action and WFP Contingency Plans.
- Support Country Directors in managing their emergency and response plans and coordinate WFP’s activities with counterparts involved in the operations, such as Government counterparts, UN agencies, the donor community, Red Cross/Crescent Movement, NGOs and regional organizations, including representing WFP in Humanitarian Country Team.
- Support the preparation of the COs workplans and staffing plans for emergency operations, including through revision of Country Response Plans and provision of advices.
- Provide operational and technical guidance to COs during the implementation of emergency preparedness.
- Ensure, monitor and report on the level of implementation of emergency preparedness measures against organisational standards.
- Emergency response support
- Provide direction and operational guidance to RBD and COs, and oversight for WFP’s emergency response in West and Central Africa.
- Provide timely updates and advice to regional management to facilitate rapid response and timely decision-making.
- With support of HQ’s early warning team, provide the Regional Director and Deputy Regional Director with critical analysis of the emergency situation(s) throughout the region and emerging trends, patterns and recommendations on meeting humanitarian needs and mitigate risks.
- Regularly re-assess implementation approaches and strategies and make recommendations for appropriate shifts.
- Emergency response coordination
- Coordinate with WFP Regional and Country Programme, Logistics and Security Officers/Focal Points to identify (potential or actual) security-related challenges to access.
- Advise COs on how to design and implement proactive measures to enable, maintain and/or expand access to those in need; through an harmonized principled approach.
- Assess EPR training needs in the region and coordinate with HQ on training opportunities.
- Operational support and oversight
- Monitor and evaluate the level of compliance with WFP rules, regulations and policies when implementing emergency operation(s).
- Ensure the effective design, development and/or revision of WFP’s Concept of Operations.
- Provide first-level clearance of project documents/revisions directly related to the emergency.
- Oversee Information management and reporting
- Ensure smooth, and timely information sharing with COs and RBD colleagues, as needs be.
Applicants must have:
(Ad) Are you still finding it difficult to search for donors online? Join Premium and use our powerful Donor Search mechanism to find relevant donors based on your country and location or keyword. Our specially developed algorithm will search across the internet for the most relevant and useful donors of your interest willing to fund your work. Learn more.
- Second-level university degree in one of the following subjects, or related field: humanitarian affairs, international development, emergency assistance or disaster management.
- Fluency (level C) in English language.
- Intermediate knowledge (level B) of French.
- Knowledge of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, Russian, Spanish, and/or WFP’s working language, Portuguese.
- At least 11 years of relevant work experience, of which 8 in managing emergency response in complex humanitarian environments.
- Extensive field experience in the humanitarian sector, including with IDPs refugee programmes and transition settings.
- Experience in implementing emergency preparedness measures and coordination of large scale emergency operation.
- Proven experience working on Accountability to Affected Population, Protection, Humanitarian Access negotiation and/or conflict-analysis and conflict sensitive programming.
- Solid experience working with a variety of humanitarian actors, UN agencies and NGOs, or peacekeeping missions, and similar organizations.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
(Ad) Not able to keep track of so may different grant opportunities and their deadlines? No problem! fundsforNGOs Premium has a handy tool called "Deadline Calendar." This tool will help you keep track of all upcoming grant opportunities and their deadlines and view them in a beautiful calendar format. Learn more.
For more information, please visit WFP.