Deadline: 1 November 2019
United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Communication for Development Specialist in Abuja, Nigeria.
The Communication for Development Specialist will be expected to provide technical support to NERICC and NEMCHIC activities related to social mobilization, demand generation and related functions.
UNICEF works for a world in which every child has a fair chance in life.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Communication for Development Specialist will perform the following functions:
- Strategic Direction & Coordination:
- Coordinate different fora mainly GAVI sub groups for demand generation, BMGF MOU states community engagement working groups and CSM communication groups.
- To provide expert advice and assistance to the NERICC and NEMCHIC team by attending several task teams including core group on attitude and behaviour change modalities that contribute to changing mindsets and are culturally sensitive and tailored to generate demand for routine immunization (RI) services and maternal and child health (MCH) development.
- Demand Generation:
- Develop, maintain and update the C4D strategy for NERICC and NEMCHIC with approaches, plans and activities geared towards increasing demand for RI and other primary health care (PHC) services.
- Ensure approaches used is all inclusive, consultative and participatory to carry along all stakeholders.
- Promotion of Appropriate use of Communication for Social Development:
- Provide expert advice, coordination and technical support to government counterparts and other partners in the development and strategic use of communication for social development to ensure optimum leverage and impact of communication activities on programme, policy and advocacy activities.
- Support state teams to design and implement strategies for hard to reach, nomadic and minority groups at the LGA and ward levels, informed by the equity analysis and aligned with coverage and equity plans.
- Monitors and evaluates activities on the basis of applied targeted communication research and frequent visits to project sites.
- Conduct and/or participate in M & E (Monitoring and Evaluation) and Evaluation exercises, including country program previews, meetings and mid-term/annual reviews to assess/report on efficacy/outcome of C4D on UNICEF and Nigeria Country Office (NCO) Strategic Plans/Goals.
- Monitor and evaluate programme activities on the basis of applied qualitative behavioral research and frequent visits to project sites.
- Analyse and evaluate data to ensure compliance and achievement of objectives and recommend corrective action, when necessary, to meet programme/project objectives.
- Prepare monitoring and evaluation reports in accordance with the established guidelines, methods and procedures.
- Capacity Building for Sustainability:
- Provide advice on capacity building of communication for development teams, both within NPHCDA and among counterparts.
- Oversee and advise on the development of goals, strategy, approaches, plans as well as training materials and activities to build up capacity in participatory and behaviour change communication for personnel involved in the planning, implementation and evaluation of communication for development intervention, in support of RI and PHC.
- Resource Mobilization and Management:
- Participate in the budget planning & review process, and ensure the optimal resources from UNICEF and other partners towards C4D initiatives to support NERICC.
- Establish programme work plans, allocation of resources, and monitors progress and compliance.
Applicants must have:
- University degree in the social/behavioural sciences, (Sociology, Anthropology, Psychology, and Health Education) with emphasis on strategic communication planning for behaviour development, social mobilization, and participatory communication, and research, training/facilitation and impact evaluation of communication interventions.
- Training in communication for development and implementation in communication for development, social mobilization and behavioral change.
- Training in inter-disciplinary approach in programme communication.
- Minimum 8 years relevant professional work experience in the planning and management of social development programmes.
- 2 years with practical experience in the adaptation and application of communication planning processes to specific programmes.
- Fluency in English and another UN language.
- Local working language of the duty station an asset.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit UNICEF.