Deadline: 13 May 2016
United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Communications Officer in Bonn, Germany. The duration of this post is 1 year.
The Communications Officer will be responsible for external communications, media relations, online public information and outreach to stakeholders in support of the Convention and the Kyoto Protocol.
UNFCCC, as a framework for international cooperation to combat climate change by limiting average global temperature increases and the resulting climate change, and coping with impacts that were, by then, inevitable.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Communications Officer will perform the following functions-
- Strategic Responsibility: input to, implementation and leadership of all activities and products under the CO strategy, focused on non-English language audiences and media and, in particular, on Spanish and French language services.
- Develop, creates and disseminates core messaging and campaigns. Raises awareness, stimulates and encourages climate action to all stakeholders and partners worldwide.
- Manage and develops the relationship with and informs the media. Ensures key audiences are correctly identified, targeted and expanded through existing and new CO communication products to meet the goals of the Convention and catalyze greater climate action.
- Conceptualizes, develops and implements strategy for additional non-English communications and outreach services as required.
- Content Creation and Control: ensures all text, audio and video content is timely, accurate, well produced and in line with CO strategy and messaging. Supports and aligns with the English language strategy and messaging but also correctly targets and tailors content to the needs of non-English language stakeholders and media.
- Ensure timely implementation of all these activities under the CO strategy to publicize priority issues and/or major events, to include drafting information strategies, coordinating efforts, monitoring and reporting on progress, taking appropriate follow-up actions, and analyzing the outcome to ensure and improve the impact and growth of UNFCCC communications and outreach.
- Capacity building: build information networks by interacting with key stakeholders and media
- Develop and sustains partnerships with internal and external partners for successful development and execution of CO strategy.
- Build effective, internal, non-English language support, translation and staffing to achieve CO strategic objectives within budget.
Applicants must have-
- Advanced level university degree in communications, journalism, international relations or related discipline.
- Additional years of relevant experience with university degree may substitute an advanced degree.
- At least five years in professional journalism or content communications work.
- Experience in website content production and management.
- Experience in working with social media.
- Knowledge of the international response to climate change; major stakeholders’ motivations to take climate actions; and the most effective ways to communicate both.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Spanish is essential.
- Working knowledge of another UN language such as French.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit UNFCCC.