Deadline: 4 April 2019
The World Bank Group (WBG) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Energy Economist in Dakar, Senegal. The duration of this post 2 years.
The Energy Economist will engage in analytical work and in investment operation in various countries in Sub-Saharan Africa, including supporting instruments targeted at one or more of the following: promoting the shift towards clean energy, addressing financial viability of the energy sector, and expanding access to electricity.
WBG has set two ambitious goals to push extreme poverty to no more 3 percent by 2030, and to promote shared prosperity and greater equity in the developing world.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Energy Economist will perform the following functions-
- Lead or contribute to analytical work related to: the shift towards clean energy, development of strategies for achieving financial viability and increasing energy access in Sub Saharan Africa in a sustainable manner.
- As part of project teams, prepare, appraise, negotiate and supervise investment operations in the energy sector.
- Support teams on strategic energy issues and implementation of the sub-region’s access agenda, including efforts to maximize finance for development, and increasing the participation of the private sector in energy.
- Actively participate in overseeing World Bank-supported energy country programs in the region with the aim to enhance quality and pro-poor focus and accelerate implementation.
- Contribute to business development in selected countries.
- Develop and maintain close relationships with local public and private stakeholders, support policy dialogue and keep abreast of developments in the energy sector.
(Ad) Are you still finding it difficult to search for donors online? Join Premium and use our powerful Donor Search mechanism to find relevant donors based on your country and location or keyword. Our specially developed algorithm will search across the internet for the most relevant and useful donors of your interest willing to fund your work. Learn more.
Applicants must have-
- Master’s level degree in engineering, energy planning, finance, economics, business administration or equivalent areas.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in the energy sector with demonstrated ability to engage credibly on a range of issues in the energy sector in developing countries.
- Operational experience in energy access, with good understanding of grid and off grid access and recent technological advancements and business models.
- Direct experience in at least 1 of the following areas: energy sector technologies, energy policy and tariff regulation, rural electrification, utility financial analysis and/or utility reform; Specifically, knowledge of financial analysis/financial performance assessments of utilities and ability to develop solutions (e.g. financial recovery plans, utility debt restructuring, payment collection improvement, tariff methodology and adjustment, operations performance improvement, etc.) is highly desirable.
- Bank operational experience, specifically on energy access projects, is highly desirable.
- Hands-on project management experience, an ability to efficiently manage many activities simultaneously, a flair for problem-solving and an ability to self-navigate through complex bureaucratic environments.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and proven ability to build strong partnerships with clients, different stakeholders and colleagues across units and departmental boundaries in a multi-cultural environment with virtual teams located in different countries.
- Work experience in Sub-Saharan Africa would be an advantage;
- Good written and oral communication skills in English and French is essential
- Ability to communicate complex issues in simple terms and to engage in evidence-based dialogue with clients.
How to Apply
(Ad) Not able to keep track of so may different grant opportunities and their deadlines? No problem! fundsforNGOs Premium has a handy tool called "Deadline Calendar." This tool will help you keep track of all upcoming grant opportunities and their deadlines and view them in a beautiful calendar format. Learn more.
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit WBG.
(Ad) Are you looking for readymade proposals? fundsforNGOs Premium has a vast collection of Sample Proposals from successful grantees around the world. These proposals are available for viewing so that you can quickly get new ideas, best practices, lessons learned and develop your proposal in the perfect manner. Learn more.