Deadline: 11 August 2019
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Education Specialist in Damascus, Syria. The duration of this post is 4 months.
The Education Specialist will support formal and non-formal education, school rehabilitation, capacity building for teachers, and closely coordinates with Shelter and Protection.
DRC fulfills its mandate by providing direct assistance to conflict-affected populations – refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs) and host communities in the conflict areas of the world.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Education Specialist will perform the following functions:
- Contextualization and Master Train the Trainer on TiCC- Capacity Building:
- Review background documents on INEE MS TiCC, DRC’s programme commitments, and develop a contextualized training pack.
- Review modules with the Education PM; adapt as per the contextual requirements, and draft a SoP to share with external stakeholders, such as MoE/DoE.
- Develop a training agenda, facilitators manual, participants hand-outs, agenda templates, and power point slides.
- Deliver a 5-day Master ToT to DRC internal staff (approximately 15), prepare pre-and post-data collection for training participants, and provide a quality training report.
- Design a 2-day Master ToT on Facilitation Techniques for DRC staff (approximately 15), focused on strengthening wider facilitation skills.
- Development of the At-Home Learning Package and Training:
- Conduct a desk review of community-based EiE activities in complex humanitarian contexts, specifically on approaches to improve literacy for out-of-school children.
- Develop the monitoring tools in consultation with the Education Manager and PDQ Manager, including pre and post test tools, for the pilot roll-out of the AHL package.
- Develop and SoP on the package to share with external stakeholders, such as MoE/DoE.
- Develop a training manual and deliver a 3-5- day ToT to DRC staff on how to facilitate the At-Home Learning Package.
- Provide day-to-day coaching and mentoring on technical skills to field-based staff.
Applicants must have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Education and/or other related studies.
- Master’s degree in International Education, Education in Emergencies and/or International Development preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of experience designing and implementing EiE packages in emergency contexts or fragile states, specifically community-based approaches and staff capacity building packages.
- Demonstrable experience in developing technical guidance and manuals, SoPs, and monitoring tools.
- Proven experience in leading master ToT’s in INEE MS TiCC and contextualizing training to country context.
- Experience in training and coaching junior staff.
- Experience of applying and contextualizing relevant interagency humanitarian frameworks and standards in education in emergencies (for example INEE Minimum Standards, SPHERE, IASC guidelines etc.,).
- Ability to work both in an advisory and a hands-on implementation capacity.
- Highly organized and able to multi-task workload when necessary.
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy.
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
- Commitment to the aims and principles of DRC.
- Excellent spoken and written English communication skills.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit DRC.