Deadline: 21 May 2019
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Climate Change and Energy Advisor in Dakar, Senegal. The duration of this post is 1 year.
The Climate Change and Energy Advisor is responsible for leading the provision of technical expertise and policy and programme advisory services to Country Offices, supporting the implementation of the regional program and, where appropriate, with key UN and external partners.
UNDP works in nearly 170 countries and territories, helping to achieve the eradication of poverty, and the reduction of inequalities and exclusion.
Key Job Responsibilities
The Climate Change and Energy Advisor will perform the following functions-
- Substantive delivery of technical assistance, policy development and programme support:
- Provide policy advisory and programming services primarily to COs within the region, that respond to country office needs, including through the provision of capacity building and backstopping to COs and UNCTs.
- Work with the Regional Bureau’s Country Advisors to ensure relevant, timely and multi-disciplinary response to country needs for policy services.
- Collaborate substantively with COs and Regional Programmes to achieve regional/CO strategic goals and plans by supporting relevant regional initiatives and promoting synergies with the regional programmes.
- Substantive development of tools and resources, from across UNDP’s network of expertise:
- Provide technical expertise in identifying tools, developing methodologies and producing knowledge management products linked to climate change and energy policy.
- Provide technical expertise on the content development for regional/CO knowledge products through the analysis of data, case evidence, and research findings in accordance with corporate standards;
- Knowledge management and community of practice networking:
- Contribute to the continuous analysis, documentation, codification of regional results/lessons learned.
- Review regional data, case evidence and research findings to distill pivotal lessons for UNDP globally.
- Advocate and enable South-South facilitation of exchanges and experiences sharing where valuable.
- Advocacy and partner engagement for effective policy positioning in the region:
- Advocate the application of ground-breaking climate change and sustainable energy approaches, especially as an integrated approach to achieving the SDGs, in various regional and country fora with a view to deepen related political commitment and related reforms.
- Represent UNDP in the region on partner engagements and interagency coordination in climate change and sustainable energy policy areas.
- Provide technical advice on relationship management of regional partners and resource mobilization in line with UNDP priorities in Africa and corporate guidelines;
Applicants must have-
- Master’s degree, preferably in energy, climate change, international development, law, international affairs, business administration, development economics, or other relevant field, or extensive compensating experience in in relevant, technical fields.
- Minimum 7 years of relevant experience in either public sectors (national or multilateral, including UN), private (academia, non-governmental sector, corporate), with increasing level of responsibility.
- Track record and technical/advisory experience in the UN System related to climate change and energy desirable.
- Excellent negotiating and communication skills and ability to mobilize support from a wide range of partners (public, private, academic, civil society, business community leaders).
- Proven track record of management and resource mobilization skills
- Working experience in Africa required.
- French proficiency.
- English highly desirable.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit UNDP.