Deadline: 12 April 2019
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Climate Change and Energy Specialist in Panama City, Panama. The duration of this post is 1 year.
UNDP works in nearly 170 countries and territories, helping to achieve the eradication of poverty, and the reduction of inequalities and exclusion.
Key Job Responsibilities
The Climate Change and Energy Specialist will perform the following functions-
- Substantive delivery of technical assistance, policy development and programme support:
- Collaborate substantively with COs and Regional Programmes to achieve regional/CO strategic goals and plans by supporting relevant regional initiatives and promoting synergies with the regional programmes.
- Provide support to COs in project design, planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and results reporting.
- Substantive development of policy research tools and resources, from across UNDP’s network of expertise:
- Conduct analysis of data, case evidence and research findings to distill relevant lessons from projects and programmes to support policy development and innovation in the areas of climate change mitigation and sustainable energy in close cooperation with the relevant GEF teams and COs.
- Review and assess policies in relevant thematic area with the objective to identify gaps and opportunities for development of new policies and to guide the overall team priorities and workplans.
- Knowledge management and community of practice networking:
- Advance policy dialogue through regional exchange of knowledge and share knowledge products, tools and guidance to help influence/advance policy dialogue in the thematic area and present such material at various fora.
- Contribute to the continuous analysis, documentation, codification of regional results/lessons learned, ensuring a coherent approach between the different dimensions of UNDP´s broad climate and energy work.
- Advocacy and partner engagement for effective policy positioning in the region:
- Provide technical advice on relationship management of regional partners and resource mobilization in line with corporate priorities and guidelines.
- Prepare materials, draft and aid the development of briefings and speeches, to advocate the importance of the thematic area in various fora, including academia and civil society.
Applicants must have-
- Master’s degree, preferably in energy, climate change, international development, law, international affairs, business administration, development economics, or other relevant field, or extensive compensating experience in in relevant, technical fields.
- Minimum 7 years of experience providing policy advice and programme support in the area of Climate Change and Energy in different development contexts.
- Experience working in developing country settings is required.
- Experience in either, public sectors (national or multilateral, including UN), private (academia, non-governmental sector, corporate), with increasing level of responsibility in a policy advisory role
- Track record and technical/advisory experience in the UN System related to climate change and energy desirable.
- Excellent negotiating and communication skills and ability to mobilize support from a wide range of partners (public, private, academic, civil society, business community leaders)
- Proven track record of management and resource mobilization skills
- Work experience in Latin America and the Caribbean required.
- Fluency in English and Spanish, both written and oral.
- Work knowledge of Portuguese and/or French an asset.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit UNDP.