Deadline: 3 June 2019
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Environment Specialist in Manila, Philippines. The duration of this post is 3 years.
The Environment Specialist will provide technical inputs and analyses to the design, preparation and implementation of lending and technical assistance operations in environment and natural resources.
The ADB aims for an Asia and Pacific free from poverty.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Environment Specialist will perform the following functions-
- Provide guidance and advice to developing member countries (DMCs) on environmental issues and in building and strengthening their capacity for environmental planning and management.
- Provide knowledge and inputs for the coordination of the preparation of EAER and EARD-wide climate change policies and strategies through:
- knowledge dissemination and sharing with governments, multilateral and bilateral organizations, civil society and NGOs on environmental issues and programs.
- contributing to sector and thematic studies, relevant to the division operations, and prepare knowledge products related to environmental issues.
- contributing knowledge, inputs and insights to activities for advocacy, dissemination and knowledge building on environment issues.
- Conduct policy dialogue with relevant government officials and development partners on policies and strategies to mainstream climate change mitigation and adaptation in development planning with a special emphasis on climate change impacts on natural resources, rural development, and agriculture.
- Provide inputs to project teams on policies and strategies to anticipate and minimize future impacts from adverse climate change events on water, other infrastructure, and services.
- Provide technical inputs on addressing environment and natural resource management related climate change risks and vulnerabilities and protecting and maintaining natural capital and associated ecosystem services.
- Help identify and develop investment opportunities in agriculture, environment and natural resource sectors for sustainable economic growth to support poverty reduction and regional cooperation.
- Help in facilitating effective liaison with resident missions for consistency of approach, exchange of experiences, and continuous improvement of practices and integration of environment policy commitments to the management of projects.
- Support the identification, preparation, appraisal, and supervision of loans, grants, and technical assistance projects related to agriculture and rural development, urban development, and environmental management and coordinate with development agencies on program loans and investment projects.
- Facilitate coordination with environment and/or natural resources country and regional/cross-departmental thematic and technical working groups.
- Support the identification, processing and supervision of grant and TA projects with significant environmental dimensions, including supervising consultants and ensuring the high technical quality of outputs.
- Support the development and maintenance of a suitable network of the latest institutional developments in international and national environment and natural resource management of relevance to the division.
- Participate in and contribute to relevant internal and external training and conferences and other activities for advocacy, dissemination and knowledge building.
- Support multidisciplinary teams and ensure the overall quality of its work.
Applicants must have-
- Master’s Degree, or equivalent, in Environment or Natural Resource Management.
- University degree in Environment or Natural Resource Management, or related biological sciences, combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree.
- At least 8 years relevant experience in environmental and natural resource management, climate change, policy formation, implementation and coordination at senior levels, including in several developing countries.
- Experience with a multilateral institution’s policies and procedures.
- Significant expertise within a specific area of ADB’s operations (economic, sector or thematic), or breadth across multiple areas with in-depth knowledge within one area.
- Manage risks more effectively by understanding DMCs, their environment (including the political, social and technical aspects), development priorities and economic / sector / thematic issues.
- Ability to perform effectively as a mission leader or team lead, exercising supervision, coordination, and planning responsibilities over multi-disciplinary team/unit.
- Ability to mentor team members, providing guidance and advice on project or technical-related matters.
- Ability to coach team members to develop their capabilities/potential
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit ADB.