Deadline: 5 July 2019
The World Bank Group (WBG) is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Environment Specialist in Accra, Ghana. The duration of this post 2 years.
WBG has set two ambitious goals to push extreme poverty to no more 3 percent by 2030, and to promote shared prosperity and greater equity in the developing world.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Environment Specialist will perform the following functions:
- Safeguard/ Environment and Social Standards
- Assess the project’s potential environmental footprint and determine which of the Bank’s safeguards policies and/or Environment and Social Standard (ESS) will be triggered.
- Guide the borrower/project implementation agency in process of preparing the necessary safeguard instruments and review them for quality.
- Contribute well-written summaries of key safeguards instruments for inclusion in project documentation; and assist in the preparation of Environmental and Social Risk Classifications (ESRCs) and Environmental and Social Commitment Plans (ESCPs).
- Work closely with the project task team and especially the Social Safeguards Specialist assigned to each operation and provide back up support as required.
- Ensure compliance of all project financed activities, including those relating to associated facilities with the WB’s Safeguards policies and the ESSs and the Bank Environmental, Health and Safety Guidelines.
- Provide support for the screening of Bank projects for environmental risks, impacts, and vulnerabilities and identify risk management opportunities/strategies including labor influx, occupational health and safety and climate change mitigation and adaptation in Bank projects.
- Participate as a team member in the preparation and/or supervision of environmental safeguards policy / standards requirements in different Bank funded operations, maintain regular dialogue with the client and enhance their capacity on environmental policies; and contribute to Aide Memoires.
- Contribute to and participate in quality reviews within the region and provide environmental input in project documents including Concept Review, Appraisal and Decision/Negotiations Packages
- Operations and Policy Dialogue
- Contribute to inputs and support to Environment and Natural Resources sector dialogue in Ghana and in the AFCW1 CMU.
- Contribute to the preparation and supervision of ENR projects in Ghana.
- Participate in policy dialog with the government and other stakeholder relevant to environment or natural resources in Ghana.
- Coordinate and carry out other tasks as requested by the relevant Practice manager such as contribute to the organization of training or knowledge sharing events.
Applicants must have:
- Master’s degree in Environmental Engineering or Environmental/Natural Resources Science.
- At least 5 years of experience in working on and managing environment projects.
- Demonstrated knowledge of international standards and codes of practices in the environment sector including WBG Environmental and Social Standards (ESSs) and experience with the application of the World Bank’s environmental safeguards policies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Good knowledge of environmental legislation, regulatory and institutional arrangements in African countries.
- Understanding of the Bank’s policies and financial instruments.
- Solid experience in conceptualizing, developing and supervising natural resources management projects.
- Ability to translate technical and cross-country knowledge into practical solutions and contributions to country and sector strategies.
- Ability to conduct policy discussion in climate change, environment and natural resource management with representatives of the government and non-government partners.
- Experience in successfully applying environmental safeguard policies.
- Experience in conducting environmental and social development consultative and participatory approaches.
- Strong client orientation with the ability to build an understanding with implementing agency counterparts on the value-added of Bank safeguards and ESF.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit WBG.