Deadline: 14 October 2019
The World Bank Group (WBG) is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Environment Specialist in Colombo, Sri Lanka. The duration of this post is 3 years.
The Environmental Specialist will support to Bank-financed projects with moderate, substantial and high risks, and contribute to developing and supervising Environment and Natural Resources (ENR) projects.
WBG has set two ambitious goals to push extreme poverty to no more 3 percent by 2030, and to promote shared prosperity and greater equity in the developing world.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Environment Specialist will perform the following functions:
- Provide technical support for the screening of Bank projects for environmental risks, impacts, and vulnerabilities and identify risk management opportunities/strategies, including in Occupational and Community Health and Safety and climate change adaptation and mitigation in Bank operations.
- Work in Bank operations to ensure that environmental issues are properly addressed through project-specific environmental analyses and systemwide capacity building; which may include issues related to environmental and social impact assessments; community health and safety; workplace safety; resources efficiency including water and energy efficiency; prevention of pollution; management chemicals and wastes including hazardous wastes; ecosystem services; biodiversity and forest resources, cultural properties and stakeholders engagement on all project-specific relevant environmental issues.
- Under the supervision of the Regional Safeguards Coordinator, monitor compliance of all project-financed activities, including those relating to associated facilities with the ESSs and the Bank’s Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) Guidelines, as well as GIIP (Good International Industry Practice).
- Contribute to developing and supervising ENB projects and in policy dialogue in the country.
- Contribute to analyzing and disseminating lessons learned and best practices from specific Bank projects for research, knowledge and learning purposes.
- Provide guidance to the borrower on open and transparent engagement (through consultations, information disclosure and grievance redress mechanism) with relevant project stakeholders throughout the project cycle.
- Contribute to the further development of ESS related guidance and technical support materials, such as guidelines, knowledge materials as applicable.
- Collaborate with World Bank GPs and IFC/MIGA colleagues on joint projects as well as other colleagues from multilateral development institutions when supporting same projects, understanding and implementing a common approach.
Applicants must have:
- Degree (Master’s or PhD) in environmental science, natural resources management, environmental or civil engineering, or other relevant disciplines (e.g. applied natural sciences).
- 5+ years of proven, relevant experience (work or applied scientific research) as environmental assessment and management professional.
- International experience is an advantage; experience in developing countries / emerging economies is a strong advantage.
- Strong analytical skills, ability to think strategically, analyze and synthesize diverse qualitative and quantitative environmentally-related data and information.
- Ability to follow up multiple work-streams simultaneously.
- Ability and willingness to travel frequently, including to developing countries and possibly remote, fragile and conflict affected areas, is required.
- Ability to work well with a range of stakeholders, including project-affected parties, government officials, non-governmental organizations / civil society, as well as project investors and their staff.
- Sound knowledge of United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, and Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change GHG accounting methodologies, or similar standards, is an advantage.
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly and confidently, articulate issues and recommend solutions.
- Excellent verbal and written English language skills are essential.
- French or Spanish or Arabic language proficiency is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of other languages will be an advantage.
- Good team player who can work as a member of a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural team, motivate and lead group efforts and network effectively across boundaries.
- Nationality of Sri Lanka.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit WBG.