Deadline: 11 November 2019
The World Bank Group (WBG) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Environmental Specialist in Zagreb, Croatia. The duration of this post is 3 years.
The Environment Specialist will work on ENB operations, analytical work, and environmental risk management.
WBG has set two ambitious goals to push extreme poverty to no more 3 percent by 2030, and to promote shared prosperity and greater equity in the developing world.
Key Job Responsibilities
The Environmental Specialist will perform the following functions-
- Engage in environmental policy dialogue with Croatia’s government and other stakeholders, with a focus on pollution, management and transition to circular economy, nature protection and landscape productivity, blue economy development, environmental risk management, climate resilience and green growth.
- Contribute to or lead the development and implementation of ENB operations, technical assistance, or analytical work in Croatia and possibly other ECA countries.
- Participate as a team member or team leader in the development and/or supervision of implementation of environmental activities /components in multi-sectoral projects.
- Provide guidance and technical support for the screening of Bank projects for environmental impacts and vulnerabilities, assess an environment risk category/level, and identify risk management opportunities/strategies.
- Guide the borrower/project implementation agency in preparing the necessary ESF instruments and review them for quality.
- Monitor compliance of project-financed activities with safeguards policies or ESF, as appropriate.
- Contribute to analyzing and disseminating lessons learned and best practices from applying ESF in specific World Bank projects for knowledge and learning purposes.
- Keep abreast of research and development knowledge in the environment and natural resources sector.
- Coordinate and carry out other tasks as requested by the relevant Practice manager; for example, organizing training or knowledge sharing events.
- Represent ENB GP in relevant Bank-wide initiatives, represent the Bank in donor meetings on the environment, and promote knowledge generation and dissemination within the region and beyond.
- Contribute to activities and initiatives of the Zagreb office, as needed, raising profile of the environmental sustainability and climate change agendas within the office and the country.
Applicants must have:
- Degree (Master’s or equivalent) in environmental policy, economics, science, natural resources management, environmental or civil engineering, or other relevant disciplines.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience as an environmental professional particularly in the field of pollution and/or natural resource management and /or climate change, including both sector-wide policy review and project-specific experience.
- Experience in environmental impact assessment will be an advantage.
- Knowledge of EU legislation, strategies and directives.
- Good analytical skills, ability to think strategically, analyze and synthesize diverse qualitative and quantitative environmentally-related data and information.
- Ability to manage and follow up on multiple work-streams simultaneously.
- Ability to work well with a range of stakeholders, including project -affected parties, government officials, non-governmental organizations / civil society, development partners as well as project investors.
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly and confidently, articulate issues and recommend solutions.
- Excellent verbal and written English and Croatian skills are essential.
- Good team player who can work as a member of a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural team, motivate and lead group efforts and network effectively across boundaries.
- Ability and willingness to travel frequently within and outside Croatia is required.
- Nationality of Croatia.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit WBG.