Deadline: 24 September 2019
The World Bank Group (WBG) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Environmental Specialist in Belgrade, Serbia. The duration of this post is 3 years.
(Ad) Still, finding it difficult to find new grants and donors to support your work? No way to easily search and identify upcoming funding opportunities? No idea how to raise funds? We have a solution for you. Our Premium Membership service answers all your questions. Learn more.
WBG has set two ambitious goals to push extreme poverty to no more 3 percent by 2030, and to promote shared prosperity and greater equity in the developing world.
Key Job Responsibilities
(Ad) Too many advertisements on this website? Get an ad-free and fully optimized website experience to find grants and donors of your interest. Premium Membership service offers a clean and user-friendly interface for you to raise funds successfully! Learn more.
The Environmental Specialist will perform the following functions-
- Provide technical support for the screening of Bank projects for environmental impacts, and vulnerabilities and identify risk management opportunities/strategies in Bank operations.
- Assist in the Environmental and Social Risk Classifications (ESRCs) and preparation of Environmental and Social Commitment Plans (ESCPs); and help staff/the client to assure the quality of project documentation before submission to the Environmental and Social Standards Adviser (ESSA) Secretariat for review and approval.
- Provide guidance and support for the screening of Bank projects for environmental risks, impacts and vulnerabilities, and identify risk management opportunities/strategies including labor influx, occupational health and safety, and climate change mitigation and adaptation.
- Monitor compliance of all project-financed activities with safeguards policies for projects under implementing or with concepts approved before October 1, 2018.
- Work with borrowers / recipients to effectively assess environmental risks, evaluate all relevant information, propose project risk classification and recommend solutions to comply with the Bank’s ESF, using ESSs, related guidance and good practice notes, as well as internationally accepted good industry practice for informed decision making.
- Ensure compliance of all project financed activities, including those related to associated facilities, with the Bank’s Safeguards policies and the ESSs and the Bank Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) Guidelines, as well as Good International Industry Practice (GIIP).
- Contribute to analyzing and disseminating lessons learned and best practices from specific World Bank projects for research, knowledge and learning purposes.
- Provide guidance to the borrower on open and transparent engagement (through consultations, information disclosure and grievance redress mechanism) with relevant project stakeholders throughout the project cycle.
- Based on experience with project preparation and implementation under the ESF, contribute to the further development of ESS related guidance and technical support materials, such as guidelines, knowledge materials as applicable.
- Represent ENB GP in relevant Bank-wide initiatives, represent the Bank in donor meetings on the environment, and promote knowledge generation and dissemination within the region and beyond.
- Regularly complete all project-related reporting requirements in the Bank system and provide project-related synopsis to Management as required.
- Contribute to other SCAEN programs and activities in ECA, as needed, and maintain effective dialogue with environmental authorities, civil society and development partners in the country of posting.
- Contribute to activities and initiatives of the Belgrade office, as needed, raising profile of the environmental sustainability agenda within the office and the country.
(Ad) Premium Membership offers unlimited search options to find your grants and donors. Search by country or thematic area of your work interest or even by keyword. View the number of open grants for your country. on a Google Map. Keep a watch on grant deadlines through a calendar. Learn more.
Applicants must have:
- Advanced degree (Master’s or equivalent) in environmental science, natural resources management, environmental or civil engineering, or other relevant disciplines (e.g. applied natural sciences).
- 5+ years of proven, relevant experience (work or applied research) as an environmental assessment and management professional.
- Good analytical skills, ability to think strategically, analyze and synthesize diverse qualitative and quantitative environmentally-related data and information.
- Ability to manage and follow up on multiple work-streams simultaneously.
- Ability and willingness to travel frequently is required.
- Ability to work well with a range of stakeholders, including project-affected parties, government officials, non-governmental organizations / civil society, as well as project investors and their staff.
- Familiarity with World Bank’s safeguards policies, ESF and/or IFC’s Performance Standards /MIGA Environmental and Social policies or similar standards would be an advantage.
- Knowledge of United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, and Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change GHG accounting methodologies, or similar standards, is a plus.
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly and confidently, articulate issues and recommend solutions.
- Excellent verbal and written English and Serbian skills are essential.
- Good team player who can work as a member of a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural team, motivate and lead group efforts and network effectively across boundaries.
How to Apply
(Ad) Too many emails about grants, but too few leads? Join Premium and use our Specific Email Alerts feature where you can select your country/countries and thematic areas of work interest and receive grant information accordingly. Learn more.
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit WBG.
(Ad) Our Premium Donor Search feature works like a mini-search engine. As soon as you define the search criteria and click on search, it scans the internet for the best possible matches of donor agencies based according to your interest and presents a list that you need. Learn more.