Deadline: 10 March 2020
The World Bank Group (WBG) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Environmental Specialist in Pretoria, South Africa. The duration of this post is 3 years.
WBG has set two ambitious goals to push extreme poverty to no more 3 percent by 2030, and to promote shared prosperity and greater equity in the developing world.
Key Job Responsibilities
(Ad) Stop getting irritated with excessing advertisements. View the information you want quickly on a clean, ad-free and exclusive Member Dashboard that offers tools to search for grants, view latest grant opportunities, upcoming deadlines, sample proposals, downloadable ebooks and also organize your favourites! Learn more.
The Environmental Specialist will perform the following functions-
- During project preparation: make an assessment of the project’s potential environmental footprint and determine which of the ESF standards / Bank’s safeguards policies will be triggered.
- Guide the borrower / project implementation agency in process of preparing the necessary safeguard instruments and review them for quality.
- Contribute well-written summaries of key safeguards instruments for inclusion in project documentation.
- During project implementation: supervise compliance with the Bank’s safeguards policies as finalized in the safeguards documents by participating in project technical discussions, field visits, reviewing project reports and building effective working relationships with the borrower / project implementation agency to ensure proper understanding and implementation of the policies.
- Provide expert guidance to borrowers / clients in the preparation and successful implementation of project environmental assessment instruments / documentation, including Terms of Reference for the preparation of environmental safeguards instruments, such as environmental impact / risk assessments, environmental management plans, environmental management frameworks.
- Ensure compliance of all project financed activities, including those relating to associated facilities with the WB’s Safeguards policies and the ESSs and the Bank Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) Guidelines, as well as Good International Industry Practice (GIIP).
- During both preparation and implementation: go beyond narrow policy compliance to look for opportunities to improve the environmental outcomes of the project work closely with the project task team and especially the Social Safeguards Specialist assigned to each operation and provide back up support as required.
- Participate in review meetings and represent SAFE3 in relevant Bank-wide initiatives; represent the Bank in donor meetings on the environment; and contribute to knowledge generation and diffusion within the region and beyond.
- Regularly complete all project related reporting requirements in Bank system and provide project related synopsis to management as and when required.
(Ad) Are you still finding it difficult to search for donors online? Join Premium and use our powerful Donor Search mechanism to find relevant donors based on your country and location or keyword. Our specially developed algorithm will search across the internet for the most relevant and useful donors of your interest willing to fund your work. Learn more.
Applicants must have:
- Master’s Degree or above in environment and / or natural resource management, environmental policy or engineering, or similar relevant disciplines.
- Minimum 5 year’s of professional experience in the environmental sector, including proven experience in environment, health and safety (EHS); risk assessment; occupational, health and safety (OHS); due diligence, environmental site assessment, and compliance audits.
- Good knowledge of environmental legislation, regulatory and institutional arrangements in African countries.
- Experience with the application of the World Bank’s environmental safeguards policies; and ample knowledge of the ESF and applications.
- Knowledge of South Africa EIA process and procedures is highly desirable.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Proven leadership and management capacity.
- Strong client orientation with the ability to build an understanding with implementing agency counterparts on the value-added of Bank safeguards.
- Drive for results while working with limited supervision and under tight timelines.
- Willingness to travel within the whole Africa region, as well as internationally as necessary.
How to Apply
(Ad) Not able to keep track of so may different grant opportunities and their deadlines? No problem! fundsforNGOs Premium has a handy tool called "Deadline Calendar." This tool will help you keep track of all upcoming grant opportunities and their deadlines and view them in a beautiful calendar format. Learn more.
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, visit WBG.
(Ad) Are you looking for readymade proposals? fundsforNGOs Premium has a vast collection of Sample Proposals from successful grantees around the world. These proposals are available for viewing so that you can quickly get new ideas, best practices, lessons learned and develop your proposal in the perfect manner. Learn more.