Deadline: 8 June 2020
The World Bank Group (WBG) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Environmental Specialist in Yaounde, Cameroon. The duration of this post is 3 years.
WBG has set two ambitious goals to push extreme poverty to no more 3 percent by 2030, and to promote shared prosperity and greater equity in the developing world.
Key Job Responsibilities
The Environmental Specialist will perform the following functions-
- During project preparation: assess the project’s potential environmental footprint and determine which of the Bank’s safeguards policies and/or ESS will be triggered; guide the borrower/project implementation agency in process of preparing the necessary safeguard instruments and review them for quality; contribute well-written summaries of key safeguards instruments for inclusion in project documentation and assist in the preparation of Environmental and Social Risk Classifications (ESRCs) and Environmental and Social Commitment Plans (ESCPs).
- Provide expert guidance and support for the screening of Bank projects for environmental risks, impacts, and vulnerabilities and identify risk management opportunities/strategies including labor influx, occupational health and safety and climate change mitigation and adaptation in Bank projects
- In accordance with the Bank’s ESF, determine the appropriate Environment and Social (E&S) Risk classification and review the risk classification assigned to the project on a regular basis.
- In determining and managing E&S risk, use the ESSs related guidance and good practice notes, as well as internationally accepted good industry practice for informed decision making.
- Ensure compliance of all project financed activities, including those relating to associated facilities with the WB’s Safeguards policies and the ESSs and the Bank Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) Guidelines, as well as Good International Industry Practice (GIIP).
Applicants must have:
- Master’s Degree or above in environment and/or natural resource science, environmental policy or engineering, or similar relevant disciplines.
- Minimum 8 year’s of professional experience in the environmental sector, including proven experience in environment, health and safety (EHS); environment impact assessment; risk assessment; occupational, health and safety (OHS); due diligence, environmental site assessment, and compliance audits.
- Good knowledge of environmental legislation, regulatory and institutional arrangements in African countries.
- Knowledge of the EIA process, procedures and legislation in the AFCC1 countries will be an advantage.
- Experience with the application of the World Bank’s environmental safeguards policies and ample knowledge of the ESF and applications.
- Demonstrated knowledge of international standards and codes of practices in the environment sector including WBG Environmental and Social Standards (ESSs).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in French and English.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, visit WBG.