Deadline: 19 June 2019
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Principal Environment Specialist in Manila, Philippines. The duration of this post is 3 years.
The Principal Environment Specialist will provide technical leadership to the ADB Environment Thematic Group, working in collaboration with ADB operations departments and relevant staff to implement thematic priorities on environment under ADB’s Strategy 2030 and related operational priorities plans.
The ADB aims for an Asia and Pacific free from poverty.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Principal Environment Specialist will perform the following functions-
- Provide technical leadership for all Environment Thematic Group technical and operational matters, facilitating or contributing to new or innovative approaches that support environmental sustainability in ADB operations.
- Facilitate effective communications within ADB on environmental sustainability issues, including close coordination between Environment Thematic Group members, other sector and thematic groups and operations departments.
- Develop and maintain environmental strategies, operational plans and other directional papers supporting environmental sustainability.
- Foster and drive innovation, thought leadership and future directions on environment and assist in developing future business opportunities.
- Monitor operational trends towards environmental sustainability against directions set out in Strategy 2030 and ADB’s Corporate Results Framework.
- Provide technical inputs and support to the preparation of country or sub-regional assessments, including support for country programming to integrate environment and green growth priorities in Country Partnership Strategy/Regional Country Partnership Strategy (CPS), Country Operational Business Plans and other developing member countries (DMCs) country strategy documents.
- Work in partnership with other sector and thematic groups in order to find collaborative solutions to complex environment development and green growth challenges.
- Conduct training and capacity building activities for staff, executing agencies of DMCs, and other concerned parties on environmental sustainability issues.
- Provide corporate knowledge support, including reporting, briefing papers, speeches, talking points and support to corporate initiatives on environment and green growth.
- Support the preparation, implementation, monitoring and reporting of the Environment Thematic Group work plan, including operational and knowledge support, and talent management.
- Support effective Environment Thematic Group coordination and cooperation with other Sector and Thematic Groups on environment related topics and with other departments and internal stakeholders.
- Manage and selectively establish new global/regional partnerships (donors, UN agencies, private sector, academia, NGOs/ CSOs and other development partners) to enhance ADB and country knowledge and best practices on environment and green growth.
- Support the mobilization of external co-financing (grants, investments, and concessional loans) and manage relevant financing partnership facilities promoting investments in environmentally sustainability.
- Provide guidance, coaching and mentoring to other staff within the Environment Thematic Group to ensure the effective implementation of Environment Thematic Group workplan and smooth functioning of the Environment Thematic Group secretariat.
- Master’s degree or equivalent in environmental management, environmental sciences, environmental engineering, environmental economics, or other related specialized fields.
- University degree combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree.
- At least 12 years of relevant experience in environmental policy and management in a professional capacity.
- Knowledge of policy and regulatory frameworks for environmental management in DMCs, environmental standards, and good practices.
- Good understanding of the environment operations, policies, and procedures of multilateral development and financing institutions in processing and implementation of loans and technical assistance projects.
- International experience working in several countries in Asia and the Pacific.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit ADB.