Deadline: 14 October 2019
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Principal Environment Specialist in Manila, Philippines. The duration of this post is 3 years.
The Principal Environment Specialist will lead the implementation of ADB’s Safeguard Policy Statement and environment strategic directions at corporate level and through provision of direct support to ADB’s operations departments.
The ADB aims for an Asia and Pacific free from poverty.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Principal Environment Specialist will perform following functions:
- Lead in providing operational support to the environment sector operations of ADB to maintain quality and consistency in the application of sector policies on an ADB-wide basis.
- Provide advice and support to operations departments to mainstream environment in country operations and enhance project quality, including participation in project teams.
- Contribute new or innovative approaches to policy and operational issues, including initiation of new programs promoting environmentally sustainable development in developing member countries (DMCs) through green growth, resource efficiency, resilience, and cleaner production.
- Provide advice and technical leadership on environmental safeguard compliance risks in the design and implementation of environmentally sensitive and complex projects and identify necessary corrective actions.
- Provide operational advice for the processing and implementation of ADB projects/operations with environmental impacts in relation to, among others, agriculture and natural resources, transport, urban development, water supply and sanitation and energy sectors.
- Oversee and promote regional and global cooperation on environment and implement regional technical assistance projects to deliver global and regional public goods.
- Initiate, oversee and conduct capacity building programs on environmental management for staff, executing agencies of DMCs, and other concerned parties.
- Participate in and contribute to critical regional and international events, activities and programs that have high strategic and operational relevance to ADB’s environment operations.
- Oversee and develop knowledge products (i.e. sector/thematic studies and assessments, good practices, guidelines, checklists, indicators, roadmaps, etc.), services and partnerships to deliver the objectives of ADB’s Safeguard Policy Statement.
- Contribute substantially to the development and execution of in-house training on ADB’s environment strategic directions and related safeguard requirements.
- Oversee the production of related training products/materials, learning tools and training reporting documents. Provide inputs into Environment Thematic Group activities as needed.
- Create and lead multi-disciplinary teams and ensure the overall quality of its work.
- Supervise the performance of teams and individuals, providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
- Provide coaching and mentoring to team members and ensure their ongoing learning and development.
- Liaise with international environmental funding agencies to mobilize funds for integrating environment aspects into ADB projects.
- Manage and provide guidance and policy support at the bank on concerns raised at the departmental level under the accountability mechanism policy.
- Contribute to new or innovative approaches to policy and operational issues, including initiation of new programs promoting environmentally sustainable development in, country safeguards systems and safeguards implementation and management across the region.
Applicants must have:
- Master’s Degree, or equivalent, in Environmental Engineering, Environmental Economics, Environmental Sciences, Ecology or other related fields.
- University degree in Environmental Engineering, Environmental Economics, Environmental Sciences, Ecology or other related fields combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree.
- At least 12 years of relevant experience in environmental management, at senior levels (e.g. leading projects) including international work experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required.
- Strong technical competence and expertise in environmental management, environment sciences, environmental policy, institutions, and capacity development.
- Knowledge of multilateral environment treaties, DMC policy and regulatory frameworks for environmental management, biodiversity and landscape management, ecosystem service payments, environmental financial mechanism, and common environmental standards.
- Familiar with the operations, policies and procedures of multilateral financial institutions, and experience in processing and implementation of TAs, loans or other development projects.
- Credible expert in field of expertise with recognized ability to lead projects and to share relevant knowledge to benefit the broader ADB community.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit ADB.