Deadline: 6 September 2019
International Finance Corporation (IFC) is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Principal Environmental and Social Specialist: Sector Lead Energy and Mining in Washington, DC, United States. The duration of this post 3 years.
The Principal Environmental and Social Specialist will be responsible for working day-to-day on oil, gas, mining and power transactions, and the primary point of contact with CEG for investment professionals working in these sectors.
IFC’s mission is to end extreme poverty by 2030 and boost shared prosperity in every developing country.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Principal Environmental and Social Specialist will perform the following functions:
- Quality assurance reviews and clearance of E&S specialists’ ESDD and other written appraisal products, seeking to ensure that the ESDD is correctly scoped, adequately detailed and comprehensive and well documented, that issues arising are treated consistently for all clients and that IFC’s client requirements arising from ESDD are well-calibrated to appraisal findings and risk and are consistent with Performance Standards requirements and IFC precedent.
- Screen E&S specialists’ proposals to provide E&S Advice to clients, to ensure proposals are appropriate, well-structured and consistent with departmental objectives.
- Support specialists, through appraisal preparation, coaching on sectoral E&S issues, negotiations with clients and investment departments and board presentations.
- As required, developing and delivering training to IFC clients, investment staff and CEG specialists on E&S issues relevant to the Oil, Gas, Mining and Power sectors.
- Sectoral E&S oversight and contribution to sectoral knowledge base, including preparation of sectoral portfolio reviews and recognizing emerging E&S issues in the sectors, and associated risk mitigants.
- Recruit and manage a roster of consultants to provide specialist subject-matter and peaking capacity support.
- Contribution to annual performance appraisals of E&S specialists.
- Oversight of a personal portfolio of appraisal and supervision clients.
- Represent CEG and IFC in internal and external fora.
Applicants must have:
- Graduate/advanced degree in science, engineering or other relevant discipline(s).
- Minimum 15 years of relevant professional experience, including private sector experience in sustainability and E&S risk management, and relevant experience in the oil, gas, mining and power sectors.
- Familiarity and proven experience in managing E&S issues related to large-landscape concession-based businesses, linear infrastructure, thermal power generation, biodiversity conservation and strategic community engagement.
- International experience required with experience in developing countries preferred. Willingness and ability to travel frequently to developing countries.
- Strong analytical skills, ability to think strategically, analyze and synthesize diverse information sources, and draw conclusions from sometimes limited data.
- Exemplary project management skills and ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously under tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to changing circumstances, organize and prioritize deliverables, and maintain attention to detail.
- Pragmatic, solution-oriented, problem solver with a high degree of responsiveness and proactivity, coupled with the ability to recognize when a solution is not available.
- Ability to communicate effectively and concisely in spoken and written English is essential. Additional language skills are advantageous.
- Excellent interpersonal, listening and communication skills including the ability to relate well with a wide range of internal and external parties and develop solutions in potentially tense or conflicting situations.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a multi-disciplinary, multi-cultural team, influence and negotiate point of view within teams, superior mentoring skills.
- High personal integrity and emotional intelligence, with demonstrated ability to handle sensitive matters in a discreet and respectful manner. Diplomatic approach and calm under pressure.
- Knowledge of IFC’s Sustainability Framework and Performance Standards.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit IFC.