Deadline: 7 June 2019
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Safeguards Specialist (Environment) in Manila, Philippines. The duration of this post is 3 years.
The Safeguards Specialist (Environment) will support the processing and implementation of ADB loan/grant financed projects for all sectors in SERD developing member countries (DMCs) from Headquarters, with a regional focus on Indonesia, Myanmar and potentially Malaysia.
The ADB aims for an Asia and Pacific free from poverty.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Safeguards Specialist will perform the following functions-
- As a project processing team mission member, support Project Team Leaders (PTLs) in complying with ADB’s environmental safeguard requirements and related communication and disclosure policies in project processing, including identifying issues/impacts and necessary studies, proposing categorization, scoping and defining terms of reference for environmental assessments, and coordinating the environmental assessment process.
- Work with government counterparts and provide guidance in formulating environmental safeguard planning documents (e.g., environmental assessment and review frameworks, environmental assessment documents).
- Within project teams, take responsibility for obtaining ADB environmental safeguard compliance approvals, including for initial environmental categorization, project concept paper, management consideration, and Board consideration.
- As a project administration team mission member, supervise the implementation of environmental management requirements of projects, advise on environmental safeguard compliance risks of environmentally sensitive and complex projects, and identify necessary corrective actions.
- Coordinate environmental safeguard risk management for the portfolio of projects in one member country under SERD, and support coordination of portfolio of projects in other DMCs of SERD, in compliance with ADB’s SPS, including participating in project review missions, addressing non-compliances, and responding to documentation/reporting requirements of Office of the Special Project Facilitator and inspection panels.
- Identify opportunities for ADB assistance aimed at operationalizing policies on environmental safeguards; community and occupational health and safety; climate change; resource-efficiency; and other environmental dimensions.
- Provide portfolio-wide environment-related input to Quarterly Portfolio Performance Reports.
- Conduct climate change risk screening; supervise in-depth climate risk assessments; and monitor implementation of climate adaptation elements for projects and programs in SERD DMCs.
- Contribute significantly to activities for advocacy, dissemination and knowledge building relating to ADB’s safeguard policies.
- Support administration of technical assistance (TA) and other training programs for capacity building related to environmental safeguards.
Applicants must have-
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Environmental Engineering, Environment Sciences, or other related fields.
- University degree in Environmental Engineering, Environment Sciences, or other related fields combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree.
- At least 8 years of relevant professional experience in environmental safeguards, environmental impact assessment and management, and environmental policy.
- Demonstrated experience in analyzing environmental, health and safety issues associated with infrastructure development projects, and operational experience in the preparation and implementation of such projects.
- Familiarity with a multilateral institution’s policies and procedures, including but not limited to World Bank Group’s Environment, Health and Safety Guidelines.
- International experience working in several countries.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Sound expertise in specific area (preferably one of the following areas/sectors: biodiversity impact assessment; noise/air quality impact modeling; strategic environmental impact assessment; environmental and social management systems for Financial Intermidiaries. safeguard instruments for green bonds; or similar)
- Experience applying knowledge in diverse international settings and/or different organizations.
- Ability to work collaboratively with teams as a constructive project member.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit ADB.