Deadline: 5 September 2019
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Senior Climate Change Specialist in Manila, Philippines. The duration of this post is 3 years.
The Senior Climate Change Specialist will develop, coordinate, and monitor programs and tools to support economically efficient climate-resilient low-carbon development in DMCs. Lead processing and implementation of technical assistance projects to support or develop climate investments and provide climate related knowledge services and capacity building.
The ADB aims for an Asia and Pacific free from poverty.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Senior Climate Change Specialist will perform the following functions:
- Lead the conduct of research on policies, programs and tools to identify opportunities for promoting economically efficient climate-resilient and low-emission development options and priorities.
- Provide expert guidance on the implementation of the Climate Change Operational Framework 2017-2030 and climate related priorities in Strategy 2030 in ADB operations, including identification of policies and strategies to mainstream climate change mitigation and adaptation into economic development policies and plans.
- Advise on international developments on climate policy including the United Nations Framework Convention for Climate Change (UNFCCC) negotiations and actions as evolving from the Paris Agreement, with special attention to funds and financing mechanisms to enable DMC actions.
- Lead coordination with regional departments, ERCD, ADBI to facilitate the exchange of information and experiences relating to the economics of climate change, helping to ensure continuous improvement of climate change policy, planning and implementation practices in support of ADB’s climate change program.
- Participate in country teams to support the mainstreaming of climate change considerations into Country Partnership Strategies (CPSs).
- Lead design, processing and implementation of technical assistance to support or develop investments, knowledge services and capacity building related to climate change.
- Extend assistance to sector specialists on climate change issues and access to special climate change funds, and support DMCs in the implementation of advanced climate technologies in ADB strategies and operations.
- Undertake initiative to enable effective management of relevant funds administered by SDCD e.g., ACliFF.
- Coordinate with other divisions/departments concerning the economic and financial dimensions of climate change initiatives and promotion of innovative climate technologies, such as enhancing knowledge sharing and collaboration between SDCC, regional departments, Private Sector Operations Department (PSOD), ERCD, and ADBI.
- Lead in providing support to Management and senior staff at key climate change conferences/workshops, both within ADB and externally and in preparing briefing notes for Management and the Board, as required.
- Identify specific areas of capacity building assistance required for mainstreaming climate change mitigation into project and program design with special reference to economic and financial dimensions; and substantially contribute to relevant internal and external training and conferences and other activities for advocacy, dissemination and knowledge building.
Applicants must have:
- Master’s degree in Economics, Environmental Economics, Energy/Environmental Policy or other related specialized fields.
- Alternatively, university degree in related fields combined with additional specialized relevant professional experience can be considered.
- Minimum 10 years of relevant professional experience in clean energy, climate technology, climate change policy, climate finance, and project development work.
- Understanding of climate change negotiation history, set-up of global frameworks, and country policy positions.
- Understanding of climate change adaptation issues within the development context.
- International experience working in several countries, preferably in the Asia and Pacific region.
Strong analytical and strategic thinking skills.
- Excellent presentation and interpersonal skills to articulate and represent ADB’s activities and directions in conferences and workshops, dynamically participate in networks, and interact effectively with ADB management, staff, and counterparts in other institutions.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit ADB.