Deadline: 27 June 2019
The World Bank Group (WBG) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Senior Energy Specialist in Washington, DC, United States. The duration of this post 3 years.
WBG has set two ambitious goals to push extreme poverty to no more 3 percent by 2030, and to promote shared prosperity and greater equity in the developing world.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Senior Energy Specialist will perform the following functions-
- Lead or contribute to analytical work related to regional power markets design, implementation and regulation: models for electricity market, design of regulations and institutions for efficient power markets, development of sustainable transmission system operators and transmission rights, advising governments on the trade- offs between energy security and cost reductions through regional integration, development of national and regional strategies to support the shift towards clean energy at regional level, modeling power markets and securitization of payments in support of trade.
- As part of project teams, prepare, appraise, negotiate and supervise investment operations in the energy sector, especially for regional interconnections and regional power markets.
- Support teams on strategic energy issues and implementation of the sub-region’s access agenda, including efforts to turnaround financial performances of utilities and sectors, maximize finance for development, and increasing the participation of the private sector in energy.
- Actively participate in overseeing World Bank-supported energy country programs in the region with the aim to enhance quality and pro-poor focus and accelerate implementation.
- Contribute to business development in selected countries.
- Develop and maintain close relationships with local public and private stakeholders, support policy dialogue and keep abreast of developments in the energy sector.
Applicants must have-
- Master’s level degree in engineering, energy planning, finance, economics, business administration or equivalent areas.
- At least 10 years of relevant experience in the energy sector with demonstrated ability to engage credibly on a range of issues in the energy sector in different regions.
- Direct experience in power pools.
- Operational experience in infrastructure finance, with good understanding of energy issues and recent technological advancements and business models.
- Operational experience in the following areas is highly desirable: midstream gas markets and institutional frameworks (at national and regional level); gas-to-power projects, energy policy and tariff regulation, utility financial analysis and/or utility reform and ability to develop solutions (e.g. financial recovery plans, utility debt restructuring, payment collection improvement, tariff methodology and adjustment, operations performance improvement, etc.).
- Operational experience with multilateral financial institutions is desirable.
- Hands-on project management experience, an ability to efficiently manage many activities simultaneously, a flair for problem-solving and an ability to self-navigate through complex bureaucratic environments.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and proven ability to build strong partnerships with clients, different stakeholders and colleagues across units and departmental boundaries in a multi-cultural environment with virtual teams located in different countries.
- Work experience in Sub-Saharan Africa would be an advantage.
- Good written and oral communication skills in English; French is desirable.
- Ability to communicate complex issues in simple terms and to engage in evidence-based dialogue with clients.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit WBG.