Deadline: 24 September 2019
The World Bank Group (WBG) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Senior Environmental Engineer in Lusaka, Zambia. The duration of this post is 3 years.
(Ad) Still, finding it difficult to find new grants and donors to support your work? No way to easily search and identify upcoming funding opportunities? No idea how to raise funds? We have a solution for you. Our Premium Membership service answers all your questions. Learn more.
WBG has set two ambitious goals to push extreme poverty to no more 3 percent by 2030, and to promote shared prosperity and greater equity in the developing world.
Key Job Responsibilities
(Ad) Too many advertisements on this website? Get an ad-free and fully optimized website experience to find grants and donors of your interest. Premium Membership service offers a clean and user-friendly interface for you to raise funds successfully! Learn more.
The Senior Environmental Engineer will perform the following functions-
- Environmental Risk Management
- Ensure the effective integration of environmental due diligence as defined by World Bank Group (WBG) Environmental and Social Management Framework, safeguards policies as well as international good practice documents (e.g. Equator Principles) into the design, appraisal and implementation of WBG supported projects (environmental lending portfolio and analytical work).
- Provide expert advice to client and counterpart organizations, project teams and WBG management with regard to the preparation of environmental impact assessments, including regional, strategic and cumulative assessments; environmental management frameworks and plans, including plan for monitoring, reporting and evaluation; and specific plans related to natural habitats conservation, natural resource management, pest management, forest management, dam safety and international waterways management; such advice will be based on a thorough analysis of baseline conditions, project scope and impacts, requirements from national legal and institutional frameworks and, and compliance with the WBG’s operational policies.
- Provide expert guidance to clients in the preparation of relevant project cycle documentation including terms of reference (ToR) for environmental safeguard instruments, such as environmental and social assessments (incl. strategic, regional and cumulative); environmental and social management frameworks and plans, Pest Management Plan, and supervising their implementation.
- Contract specifications related to environmental safeguards and risks management, particularly for large dams and water related projects.
- Provide technical training for the domestic EA practitioners on the WBG safeguard policies and requirements.
- Project Operations and Analytical Work
- Participate in and/or lead natural resource or environmental management projects and the policy dialog with the government and other stakeholders on environment or natural resources.
- A particular focus of this position will be to build a portfolio of environment projects in Zambia, which could include solid waste management, air quality, contaminated sites management – mainly related to the mining industry.
- Participate as team member or team leader in the development and/or supervision of implementation of environment or natural resources activities or components in various projects, including participation in identification missions; seeking and developing opportunities to integrate sound environmental management and policies in various investment project operations; maintaining regular dialog with the client and enhancing their capacity for understanding and compliance with on environmental policies; and contributing to mission outputs such as back to office reports (BTORs) and Aide Memoires.
- Facilitate and maintain effective communication with relevant communities of practice, including NGOs, academia, civil society, the private sector as well as specialized international organizations in line with the Bank’s Disclosure Policy and need to harmonize with clients and other international financial institutions in the region.
- In particular, active participation in communities of practice and global level technical innovation and knowledge sharing in the area of pollution management will be an important component of this position.
(Ad) Premium Membership offers unlimited search options to find your grants and donors. Search by country or thematic area of your work interest or even by keyword. View the number of open grants for your country. on a Google Map. Keep a watch on grant deadlines through a calendar. Learn more.
Applicants must have:
- Advanced degree (PhD. or Master’s) in environmental engineering, civil engineering, environmental science or related field, with a strong preference for candidates with good technical training and experience in environmental risk management related to large scale civil engineering or industrial engineering projects, pollution management, solid waste management, soil, or water and groundwater remediation and clean-up.
- Deep technical experience in solid waste management would be highly beneficial.
- Minimum 8 years of full-time relevant professional experience in the engineering or environmental management sector is required.
- Fluency in English is required (writing, speaking, listening and reading).
- A second language (French, Spanish, or Portuguese) would be highly beneficial.
- Proven teamwork and successful experience working with multi-disciplinary teams.
- A strong sense of team work and ability to work independently with limited supervision.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience working in different developing countries.
- Willingness to travel extensively in Zambia, the Africa region and possibly globally is necessary, including to remote rural areas.
How to Apply
(Ad) Too many emails about grants, but too few leads? Join Premium and use our Specific Email Alerts feature where you can select your country/countries and thematic areas of work interest and receive grant information accordingly. Learn more.
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit WBG.
(Ad) Our Premium Donor Search feature works like a mini-search engine. As soon as you define the search criteria and click on search, it scans the internet for the best possible matches of donor agencies based according to your interest and presents a list that you need. Learn more.