Deadline: 10 January 2020
The World Bank Group (WBG) is seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Senior Environmental Specialist in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. The duration of this post is 3 years.
The Senior Environmental Specialist will be responsible for the day-to-day support to the Bank’s ENR reimbursable advisory services (RAS) program in Saudi Arabia that is funded under the Technical Cooperation Program (TCP) between the Government of Saudi Arabia and the World Bank.
WBG has set two ambitious goals to push extreme poverty to no more 3 percent by 2030, and to promote shared prosperity and greater equity in the developing world.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Senior Environmental Specialist will perform the following functions:
- Contribute to the policy dialogue and strategic communication with counterparts on environment and natural resources management and sustainable development.
- Carry out the day to day management of the KSA RAS program.
- Coordinate with key counterpart agencies, including the Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture (MEWA), the General Authority for Meteorology and Environmental Protection (GAMEP), among others, as well as local stakeholders and consultants.
- Lead and/or contribute to the technical aspects of the ENR Reimbursable Advisory Services (RAS).
- Provide deep technical skills in environment and natural resources management in the areas of air pollution, land degradation, biodiversity and/ or marine and coastal resources management to contribute to the preparation of the RAS outputs.
- Support the organization of workshops for dissemination and stakeholder meetings.
- Contribute towards organizing and delivery of capacity building training to relevant stakeholders.
- Support the RAS activity by identifying potential experts and consultants who could contribute towards the preparation of outputs, including within NGOs, think tanks and academia to further build national capacity for upstream environmental analytical work.
- Build long-term business relationships with national and local stakeholders through policy dialogue as part of the Reimbursable Advisory Services (RAS) portfolio.
- Coordinate closely with other Bank staff working in the country and region.
- Advise the ENR Practice Manager for MNA and Afghanistan and Pakistan on ENR business development opportunities, and follow up on the opportunities to help create business.
- Represent the ENR GP in meetings with the Country Director, country clients, and development partners.
- Contribute to analyzing and disseminating lessons learned and best practices from specific Bank activities for research, knowledge and learning purposes.
(Ad) Are you still finding it difficult to search for donors online? Join Premium and use our powerful Donor Search mechanism to find relevant donors based on your country and location or keyword. Our specially developed algorithm will search across the internet for the most relevant and useful donors of your interest willing to fund your work. Learn more.
Applicants must have:
- Advanced degree (Master’s or PhD) in environmental science/environmental engineering/ environmental economics with at least 8 years of experience
- Excellent environmental sciences / engineering / economics skills with experience in the areas of pollution management (air pollution), and / or natural resource management (marine and coastal, fisheries, land).
- Strong technical skills in the areas of pollution control, environment and natural resources management.
- Proven experience in leading solid analytical work in peer reviewed journals and policy dialogue.
- Demonstrated track record in project management / operational skills; familiarity with Bank procedures would be an advantage.
- Minimum 5 years of track record in strategic engagement experience with senior level policy makers (director general level at government ministry or higher) is required.
- Ability to build and sustain key stakeholder relationships with government and other key stakeholders; and to integrate divergent viewpoints of multiple external and internal stakeholders into a coherent project/program/strategy.
- Ability to guide clients and/or development partners in identifying key policy issues and optional solutions with a demonstrated ability to bring together different perspectives.
- A proven track record working with a wide range of stakeholders, NGOs, international organizations, development partners and/or with the government.
- Excellent workflow management and task organization skills; able to coordinate all aspects of the workflow of assigned responsibilities.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills including the ability to draft concise reports and correspondence, and ability to defend orally and in writing difficult issues and positions to a variety of stakeholders.
- Good team player who can work as a member of a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural team, motivate and lead group efforts and network effectively across boundaries.
- Experience in working with clients to achieve compliance and leads discussions on environmental matters.
- Willingness to travel extensively nationally and internationally is required, also to remote areas.
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken Arabic and English.
- Ability to work well independently.
How to Apply
(Ad) Not able to keep track of so may different grant opportunities and their deadlines? No problem! fundsforNGOs Premium has a handy tool called "Deadline Calendar." This tool will help you keep track of all upcoming grant opportunities and their deadlines and view them in a beautiful calendar format. Learn more.
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit WBG.
(Ad) Are you looking for readymade proposals? fundsforNGOs Premium has a vast collection of Sample Proposals from successful grantees around the world. These proposals are available for viewing so that you can quickly get new ideas, best practices, lessons learned and develop your proposal in the perfect manner. Learn more.