Deadline: 4 October 2019
The World Bank Group (WBG) is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Senior Environmental Specialist in Washington, DC, United States. The duration of this post 2 years.
(Ad) Still, finding it difficult to find new grants and donors to support your work? No way to easily search and identify upcoming funding opportunities? No idea how to raise funds? We have a solution for you. Our Premium Membership service answers all your questions. Learn more.
WBG has set two ambitious goals to push extreme poverty to no more 3 percent by 2030, and to promote shared prosperity and greater equity in the developing world.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
(Ad) Too many advertisements on this website? Get an ad-free and fully optimized website experience to find grants and donors of your interest. Premium Membership service offers a clean and user-friendly interface for you to raise funds successfully! Learn more.
The Senior Environmental Specialist will perform the following functions:
- Support the development of Global Environment Facility (GEF) programs and policies related to climate change mitigation and chemicals and waste.
- Coordinate, review, provide analysis, and advise GEF management on project proposals submitted for funding in the field of climate change mitigation, especially technology transfer, and chemicals and waste.
- Under the leadership of the Regional Coordinators, participate in regional team work and missions to GEF priority country to support GEF-7 programming and country portfolio design.
- Maintain institutional relationships. Communicate regularly with the GEF Agencies about programs and projects.
- Communicate and consult with GEF participating countries, as well as with the secretariats of the relevant conventions, including the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change, the Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants and the Minamata Convention on Mercury.
- Prepare major reports (e.g. GEF report to the Conference of the Parties) as required.
- Lead or participate in knowledge management, results-based management, monitoring and other related operational activities.
- Undertake other duties as required.
(Ad) Premium Membership offers unlimited search options to find your grants and donors. Search by country or thematic area of your work interest or even by keyword. View the number of open grants for your country. on a Google Map. Keep a watch on grant deadlines through a calendar. Learn more.
Applicants must have:
- Strong academic background, including an advanced degree (Master’s degree equivalent required, Ph.D. preferred) in environmental engineering, environmental chemistry or other field related to climate change mitigation and chemicals management.
- Minimum 8 years directly relevant experience.
- Knowledge and expertise in climate change mitigation and chemicals and waste management.
- Broad understanding of the practical, scientific, economic, social, and political dimensions of climate change mitigation, chemicals and waste and ozone depletion policies.
- Broad state-of-the-art knowledge of sector issues as they relate to these problems.
- Experience in the design, implementation, and monitoring of environmental projects, particularly in the fields relevant to this position.
- Experience in developing countries and in dealing with a range of stakeholders, as well as international organizations, development agencies, scientific and technical bodies, developing country counterparts, and NGOs.
- Demonstrated ability to work with limited supervision, independently adjusting priorities and achieving results with agreed upon objectives, and ability to work collegially in a multi-cultural team environment in an openly communicative way.
- Excellence in written and spoken English is essential.
- Knowledge of other UN languages would be an advantage.
- An understanding of GEF’s policies and operations would be an advantage.
- Demonstrated ability to function as a team player, to work across institutional boundaries without resorting to formal authority, and to collaborate with other entities.
How to Apply
(Ad) Too many emails about grants, but too few leads? Join Premium and use our Specific Email Alerts feature where you can select your country/countries and thematic areas of work interest and receive grant information accordingly. Learn more.
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit WBG.
(Ad) Our Premium Donor Search feature works like a mini-search engine. As soon as you define the search criteria and click on search, it scans the internet for the best possible matches of donor agencies based according to your interest and presents a list that you need. Learn more.