Deadline: 29 July 2020
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Senior Programme Management Officer in Montreal, Canada.
(Ad) Still, finding it difficult to find new grants and donors to support your work? No way to easily search and identify upcoming funding opportunities? No idea how to raise funds? We have a solution for you. Our Premium Membership service answers all your questions. Learn more.
UNEP’s mission is to provide leadership and encourage partnership in caring for the environment by inspiring, informing, and enabling nations and peoples to improve their quality of life without compromising that of future generations.
Key Job Responsibilities
(Ad) Too many advertisements on this website? Get an ad-free and fully optimized website experience to find grants and donors of your interest. Premium Membership service offers a clean and user-friendly interface for you to raise funds successfully! Learn more.
The Senior Programme Management Officer will perform the following functions-
- Lead, manage and coordinate the programme of work of the Biodiversity Science, Policy and Governance Unit (BSPG) to ensure the successful delivery of its outcomes, in a timely and effective manner:
- Plan and oversee the management of activities undertaken by the Unit (in areas of ecosystem based thematic work programs, agrobiodiversity, global strategy on plant conservation, ecosystem restoration, protected areas and the interlinkages with climate change and the combat of desertification and the broad forest agenda)
- Supervise the preparation of various written outputs, e.g. substantive reports, studies, statements, publications etc.
- Establish linkages and promotes collaboration with other work programme areas under the Convention to ensure synergies and to further integrate Conservation and Sustainable Use.
- Promote synergy and coherence with the other units and Divisions including inter alia on issues related to sustainable and customary use, Access and Benefit-Sharing (ABS), Traditional knowledge and Article 8j and mainstreaming biodiversity.
- Provide leadership, manages staff performance and facilitates the deployment of human, technical and financial resources necessary to implement the programme of work, building close working relationships with Parties and liaising with relevant agencies with a view to follow up cooperative/collaborative arrangements.
- Oversee the recruitment of Unit staff as well as short-term staff and consultants.
- Manage, guide, mentor and train staff under supervision.
(Ad) Premium Membership offers unlimited search options to find your grants and donors. Search by country or thematic area of your work interest or even by keyword. View the number of open grants for your country. on a Google Map. Keep a watch on grant deadlines through a calendar. Learn more.
Applicants must have:
- Advanced University Degree in biological or environmental sciences, environmental law, with a specialization in ex-situ and in-situ conservation issues and related, is required.
- First Level University Degree combined with an additional 2 year’s of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced degree.
- Minimum 10 year’s of progressively responsible working experience in issues relevant to conservation, protected areas, ecosystem restoration, sustainable use on biodiversity and ex-situ and in-situ conservation or related fields is required.
- Experience at national level, with at least five year’s experience at the international level in a decision-making position dealing with wider environmental issues or dealing with multi-country projects in relevant fields is desirable.
- Experience with the Convention process and the functioning of the Convention’s bodies is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required.
- Knowledge of other UN languages is desirable.
How to Apply
(Ad) Too many emails about grants, but too few leads? Join Premium and use our Specific Email Alerts feature where you can select your country/countries and thematic areas of work interest and receive grant information accordingly. Learn more.
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, visit UNEP.
(Ad) Our Premium Donor Search feature works like a mini-search engine. As soon as you define the search criteria and click on search, it scans the internet for the best possible matches of donor agencies based according to your interest and presents a list that you need. Learn more.