Deadline: 11 August 2022
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Senior Safeguards Officer (Environment) in Manila, Philippines. The duration of this post is 3 years.
The ADB aims for an Asia and Pacific free from poverty.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Senior Safeguards Officer (Environment) will perform the following functions-
- Review country programming documents from a Safeguard Policy Statement (SPS) perspective; and contributes to the review of project safeguards documentation with reference to environment.
- Monitor the status of safeguards documentation and compliance during project processing and implementation; suggests special actions, alternative interventions, and mitigating measures as required; monitors the status of grievances and of compliance reviews, if any; and provides administrative support related to safeguards compliance documentation.
- Help project teams in identifying and addressing safeguards issues and participates in missions as requested by the supervisor.
- Coordinate in compiling relevant project data, visiting the project sites, discussing with the executing agencies, consultants and affected groups, and providing analytical inputs in the preparation of the mission aide-memoire (AM), memorandum of understanding (MOU), and back-to-office report (BTOR).
- Assist SERD focal in ensuring environmental safeguard quality, consistency, and coordination of other safeguard-related activities, in cooperation with other SERD sector divisions (SD) and resident missions (RM) based environmental safeguards specialists.
- Assist project teams in identifying project issues and domestic requirements with regard to environment safeguards and climate change.
- Coordinate and cooperate with staff of other RMs of SERD for consistency of approach, exchange of experiences, and continuous improvement of environment management planning and implementation practices for ADB investment projects.
Applicants must have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Environment Science or Engineering, preferably with Master’s degree or equivalent.
- At least 8 years work experience and at least 4 years supervisory experience in environment safeguards in the context of development projects, research, or NGO initiatives.
- Knowledge of project implementation.
- Working knowledge of ADB’s Safeguard Policy Statement (SPS) and awareness of similar policies of other multilateral development banks and of ADB’s developing member countries, especially those of the Philippines.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of environmental dimensions in development projects and programs, particularly for ADB’s project cycle.
- Working knowledge and understanding of climate change risks, and government policies and initiatives related to climate mitigation and adaptation in the Philippines.
- Proficient in the development, maintenance, and administration of information management systems.
- Basic knowledge of ADB’s computer applications and systems.
- Well-versed in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint applications; excellent knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work with individuals from different cultural/national backgrounds.
- Strong oral and written communications skills in English.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, visit ADB.