Deadline: 15 June 2016
The World Bank Group (WBG) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Environmental Specialist in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
The Environmental Specialist will support the GP’s work on the application of environmental policy to Bank investment lending, including risk management and knowledge and learning initiatives.
WBG has set two ambitious goals to push extreme poverty to no more 3 percent by 2030, and to promote shared prosperity and greater equity in the developing world.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Environmental Specialist will perform the following functions-
- Participate as team member in the preparation and/or supervision of environmental safeguards policy requirements in different Bank funded operations, including participating in identification missions.
- Seek and develop opportunities to integrate sound environmental management and environment safeguards policies in different investment operations, participate as a team member in such operations and related analytical work, and enhance local capacities for implementing these policies.
- Maintain dialogue and coordination between the Ethiopia national counterparts and the teams working in Ethiopia, with an emphasis in developing long-lasting relations with Government counterparts and relevant national institutions.
- Contribute to and participate in quality reviews within the Region and provide environmental input in project documents in accordance with the Bank operational policies including Concept Review, Appraisal and Decision/Negotiations Packages.
- Participate in and/or possibly lead natural resource projects and the policy dialog with the government and other stakeholder relevant to environment or natural resources in Ethiopia/Sudan/South Sudan.
- Coordinate and carry out other tasks as requested by the relevant Practice manager such as contribute to the organization of training or knowledge sharing events.
Applicants must have-
- Advanced degree (PhD or Masters) in environmental economics, environmental science/engineering, natural resources management or related field, preferably with major in one or more of the following areas: environmental institutions or policy, environmental health or pollution, forestry, biodiversity or climate change.
- Minimum 5 years of full-time relevant professional experience in the environment sector.
- Knowledge and experience in one or more of the following areas: environmental management, environmental sector policy, or integrated development planning or climate change mitigation or adaption, in various sectors (e.g., water supply and sanitation, transport, energy, natural disaster management, rural development, environmental pollution and health).
- Experience working with a wide range of stakeholders, NGOs, private sector international organizations, development partners and/or with the government will be an advantage.
- Demonstrated project management / operational skills and familiarity with Bank procedures and business practices including occupational health and safety management and the WBG safeguard policies would be an advantage.
- Experience working in middle income countries.
- International work experience would be an advantage.
- Fluency in English is required (writing, speaking, listening and reading).
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit WBG.