Deadline: 5 April 2019
World Health Organization (WHO) is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Advisor, Social Determinants of Health in Washington, D.C., United States. The duration of this post is 2 years.
The primary role of WHO is to direct and coordinate international health within the United Nations system.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
(Ad) Stop getting irritated with excessing advertisements. View the information you want quickly on a clean, ad-free and exclusive Member Dashboard that offers tools to search for grants, view latest grant opportunities, upcoming deadlines, sample proposals, downloadable ebooks and also organize your favourites! Learn more.
The Advisor, Social Determinants of Health will perform the following functions:
- Provide technical advice and facilitate the incorporation of social determinants of health as a guiding principle for the development and implementation of programs and strategies, across relevant areas of work; promote and address social determinants of health to reduce health inequities as an objective of all areas of the Organization’s work, especially priority health and development programs.
- Develop and disseminate strategies to advocate for a determinants of health approach to the formulation of public policies; strengthen the capacities of Ministries of Health to advocate for, promote and guide intersectoral action on social determinants of health.
- Provide technical support and advice to Member States to implement a health-in-all-policies and inter-sectoral approaches to improve health and to reduce health inequities.
- Collaborate in the design and development, and support the implementation of the Social Determinants component of the Universal Health Strategy in Member States, in close collaboration with the Health Systems and Services Department (HSS).
- Lead the implementation of the recommendations of the Regional Commission on Health inequities from a Social Determinants of Health perspective.
- Provide technical support to the Organization’s work on implementation of the Sustainable Development Goal/Agenda 2030, particularly beyond SDG3.
- Provide technical support to ongoing work on the revitalization of primary health care addressing the social determinants of health, aligned with the main public health priorities.
- Monitor and evaluate the implementation of interventions to strengthen mechanisms for democratic decisions and civil society participation in decisions that affect the quality of life for those left behind.
- Facilitate the debate and the preparation and implementation of joint projects on social determinants of health with social movements and civil society.
- Contribute and collaborate with Member States in strengthening existing efforts to measure and evaluate social determinants of health and the causes of health inequities, in the development and monitoring of targets on health equity.
- Support the resource mobilization efforts of the Health Promotion and Social Determinants of Health Unit.
- Cooperate with Member States on activities related to the impact of urbanization as a determinant of health and propose effective intervention strategies.
- Provide technical advice and support to Member States in the production and development of evidence-based approaches for addressing health determinants, utilizing strategies such as social observatories to change the discussion within society and key stakeholders.
- Coordinate and support the implementation of research activities and evaluate the implementation of effective policies and interventions to improve health by addressing the health determinants that serve to strengthen research capacities and collaborations.
- Work closely with partner agencies (UN, Interamerican System) on appropriate coordination mechanisms and measures that address the social health determinants and promote policy coherence in order to minimize health inequities, and to advocate for this topic to be high on global development and research agendas.
(Ad) Are you still finding it difficult to search for donors online? Join Premium and use our powerful Donor Search mechanism to find relevant donors based on your country and location or keyword. Our specially developed algorithm will search across the internet for the most relevant and useful donors of your interest willing to fund your work. Learn more.
Applicants must have:
- University degree in a health or social science and a master’s degree in public health or a related field from a recognized institution.
- 9 years of combined national and international experience in technical cooperation programs and projects that address the determinants of health, community-based solutions, policies in local and national social development programs as well as equity.
- Very good knowledge of English or Spanish with a working knowledge of the other language.
- Knowledge of French and/or Portuguese would be an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively use a computer and utilize software programs such as Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Knowledge of other software programs such as Microsoft Access, Visio, SharePoint and Project would be an asset.
How to Apply
(Ad) Not able to keep track of so may different grant opportunities and their deadlines? No problem! fundsforNGOs Premium has a handy tool called "Deadline Calendar." This tool will help you keep track of all upcoming grant opportunities and their deadlines and view them in a beautiful calendar format. Learn more.
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit WHO.
(Ad) Are you looking for readymade proposals? fundsforNGOs Premium has a vast collection of Sample Proposals from successful grantees around the world. These proposals are available for viewing so that you can quickly get new ideas, best practices, lessons learned and develop your proposal in the perfect manner. Learn more.