Deadline: 1 September 2019
World Health Organization (WHO) is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Medical Officer in Kabul, Afghanistan. The duration of this post is 1 year.
The primary role of WHO is to direct and coordinate international health within the United Nations system.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Medical Officer will perform the following functions:
- Collaborate and coordinate with the health authorities of Afghanistan and other partners in designing and developing an effective national programme for polio eradication and ensuring that it is in place and implemented.
- Manage and coordinate the inputs of WHO into polio eradication in Afghanistan, including the management of the WHO country polio team, to coordinate with other programmes in the country office, and to coordinate inputs of the Regional Office and Headquarters polio teams in polio eradication activities in Afghanistan.
- Plan, develop, organize, and deliver capacity building activities to health care workers in the management of polio eradication.
- Coordinate closely with polio eradication partners in Afghanistan, in particular UNICEF, Rotary International, CDC, and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, to build and ensure a strong common platform for support for the Government of Afghanistan, and to ensure the best and most efficient use of partner agency resources.
- Prepare programme reports and follow up reports for special activities within the programme, particularly on poliomyelitis eradication.
- Advocate/promote collaboration activities with potential donors and UN partners in eradicating polio by taking the leading role in these activities.
- Prepare for the transition of polio assets and experience to support other public health programmes in Afghanistan, in particular basic immunization services.
- Undertake other duties, as required, in relation to other programmes of collaboration in Afghanistan.
Applicants must have:
(Ad) Are you still finding it difficult to search for donors online? Join Premium and use our powerful Donor Search mechanism to find relevant donors based on your country and location or keyword. Our specially developed algorithm will search across the internet for the most relevant and useful donors of your interest willing to fund your work. Learn more.
- University degree in Medicine and Master’s Degree in Public Health or any health related field.
- 10 years of relevant experience in public health at the national and international levels, including 5 years’ experience in polio eradication as well as 3 years in managing large eradication teams.
- Experience in polio eradication in an endemic country and experience of programme delivery in complex humanitarian emergency settings.
- Ability to administer and to evaluate public health programmes, especially polio eradication.
- Demonstrated ability to work constructively with people of different cultural and educational backgrounds.
- Excellent Knowledge and technical expertise in epidemiology and diseases prevention, control and eradication.
- Expert knowledge of English.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
(Ad) Not able to keep track of so may different grant opportunities and their deadlines? No problem! fundsforNGOs Premium has a handy tool called "Deadline Calendar." This tool will help you keep track of all upcoming grant opportunities and their deadlines and view them in a beautiful calendar format. Learn more.
For more information, please visit WHO.