Deadline: 2 February 2020
Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Human Rights Analyst in Khartoum, Sudan. The duration of this post is 1 year.
The mission of OHCHR is to work for the protection of all human rights for all people, to help empower people to realize their rights and to assist those responsible for upholding such rights in ensuring that they are implemented.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Human Rights Analyst will perform the following functions
- Research, collect, verify, analyze and synthesize significant amounts of information of relevance to human rights, including from open sources.
- Advocate with relevant authorities and other influential actors to stop or prevent human rights violations.
- Seek remedial action by the authorities to prevent similar violations from occurring in the future.
- Monitor the legal systems and their compliance with international human rights instruments and, where appropriate, advises relevant authorities, including on the implementation of recommendations by UN human rights bodies.
- Develop and, where appropriate, coordinates initiatives to strengthen the response to systematic and/or emerging patterns of human rights violations and abuses, including in relation to conflict-related sexual violence.
- Conduct investigations of human rights and international humanitarian law violations.
- Draft a variety of reports and briefings in compliance with established standards.
- Suggest strategies to better promote and protect human rights.
- Support national authorities in implementation recommendations made by UN Treaty Bodies, Special Procedures and other mechanisms of the UN Human Rights Council.
- Design, as appropriate, delivers and evaluates human rights training programmes for national officials/civil society representatives, human rights non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and other national stakeholders.
- Contribute to the establishment of transitional justice mechanisms and or processes provided in the Constitutional Document, and advises national counterparts on accountability and compensation mechanisms as appropriate.
- Provide support for the establishment of a National Human Rights Commission in accordance to the Principles of Paris.
- Contribute to the integration of gender perspectives/considerations and specific women/girls’ rights issues in all activities and for the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Liaise with appropriate national authorities, civil society, UN Agencies, Funds and Programmes with complementary mandates, and other relevant partners to monitor developments in the human rights situation.
- Ensure cooperation and appropriate communication with the United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) in the establishment of policies and sharing of best practices.
- Contribute to the mainstreaming of human rights in the formulation and implementation of UN peace programmes at the country level.
- Perform other related tasks as requested by the OHCHR CO leadership
Applicants must have:
(Ad) Are you still finding it difficult to search for donors online? Join Premium and use our powerful Donor Search mechanism to find relevant donors based on your country and location or keyword. Our specially developed algorithm will search across the internet for the most relevant and useful donors of your interest willing to fund your work. Learn more.
- An Advanced University Degree (Master’s Degree or equivalent) in law, political science, international relations or other disciplines related to human rights.
- First-Level University Degree in combination with 2 additional year’s of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum 2 year’s with a Master’s Degree or 4 year’s with a Bachelor’s of progressively responsible and relevant experience in human rights, law, international relations, or closely related areas is required.
- Fluency in both spoken and written English and Arabic is required.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
(Ad) Not able to keep track of so may different grant opportunities and their deadlines? No problem! fundsforNGOs Premium has a handy tool called "Deadline Calendar." This tool will help you keep track of all upcoming grant opportunities and their deadlines and view them in a beautiful calendar format. Learn more.
For more information, please visit OHCHR.